• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirts & Ties

Mecnun

Reaction score
I am considering of buying shirts and ties from the following brands:

Rubinacci
Brioni (Burini for Shirts)
Kiton

Any views on quality and style is highly appreciated. How would forum-members force-rank them?

Apologies if this was covered before.

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, this troll question has been asked daily for years now. However, Kiton has the best fabrics, followed by Brioni and maybe Borrelli. Nevertheless, if fit is your top priority then go bespoke and start with forum posters Kabbaz or Cego.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kiton is absurd at MSRP. As I recall, the esteemed Kabbaz said the same (he considers Charvet to be the best constructed RTW shirt.)

Brioni is more reasonable, but for about the same price I'd go with Borrelli or Charvet. Dunno about Rubinacci.

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Kiton is absurd at MSRP. As I recall, the esteemed Kabbaz said the same (he considers Charvet to be the best constructed RTW shirt.)

Brioni is more reasonable, but for about the same price I'd go with Borrelli or Charvet. Dunno about Rubinacci.

Agree about Borrelli and Charvet.

IMO, there is no shirt like Borrelli.

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Yes, this troll question has been asked daily for years now. However, Kiton has the best fabrics, followed by Brioni and maybe Borrelli. Nevertheless, if fit is your top priority then go bespoke and start with forum posters Kabbaz or Cego.

I disagree about the shirt issue, kitonbrioni.

Borrelli have more handwork on their shirts than either one of them.

Besides they have bigger buttons than either one of them.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have seen circus clowns whose shirts sported buttons far larger than a Borrelli. Unfortunately, even though there was a spotlight on them, the distance was too great to determine the amount of handwork.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris "Italia"
I disagree about the shirt issue, kitonbrioni.

Don't take this the worng way but what the hell do bigger buttons and more handwork have to do with which shirt is better made? Handwork is nice, but do you want to subject a hand attached sleeve to a washing machine regularly? I love big MOP buttons and everything but they are a pain to get in the buttonholes. Not trying to be a smartass, but I hear the "this shirt has more handwork so it's better" line a lot and to me it does not make sense.

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Don't take this the worng way but what the hell do bigger buttons and more handwork have to do with which shirt is better made? Handwork is nice, but do you want to subject a hand attached sleeve to a washing machine regularly? I love big MOP buttons and everything but they are a pain to get in the buttonholes. Not trying to be a smartass, but I hear the "this shirt has more handwork so it's better" line a lot and to me it does not make sense.

Oh, Not really; I did not mean to offend you; I just thought that bigger button holes would be better for some people's tastes...

As for handwork; it really doesn't matter, but, the quality is better with more handwork?

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Any machine made shirt of reasonable fabric that was made for your own body looks far better than the finest hand stitched marvel that was made for someone else's body.
If we're really getting down to it, I'd argue that (provided you're going to be wearing a jacket) the only two critical features of a shirt as far as how good it looks are fabric and collar fit/construction.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Mecnun - those makes of shirts are absolute garbage. They are not fit to clothe my dog, let alone wear in any public setting.

Might I recommend:

Stafford
Perry Ellis
Bugle Boy

/Hey, you asked for it....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads