Shirts & Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mecnun, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Mecnun

Mecnun Well-Known Member

I am considering of buying shirts and ties from the following brands:

Rubinacci
    Brioni (Burini for Shirts)
    Kiton

Any views on quality and style is highly appreciated. How would forum-members force-rank them?

Apologies if this was covered before.

2. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Yes, this troll question has been asked daily for years now. However, Kiton has the best fabrics, followed by Brioni and maybe Borrelli. Nevertheless, if fit is your top priority then go bespoke and start with forum posters Kabbaz or Cego.

3. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Kiton is absurd at MSRP. As I recall, the esteemed Kabbaz said the same (he considers Charvet to be the best constructed RTW shirt.)

Brioni is more reasonable, but for about the same price I'd go with Borrelli or Charvet. Dunno about Rubinacci.

4. Chris "Italia"

Chris "Italia" Senior member

Kiton is absurd at MSRP. As I recall, the esteemed Kabbaz said the same (he considers Charvet to be the best constructed RTW shirt.)

Brioni is more reasonable, but for about the same price I'd go with Borrelli or Charvet. Dunno about Rubinacci.

Agree about Borrelli and Charvet.

IMO, there is no shirt like Borrelli.

5. Chris "Italia"

Yes, this troll question has been asked daily for years now. However, Kiton has the best fabrics, followed by Brioni and maybe Borrelli. Nevertheless, if fit is your top priority then go bespoke and start with forum posters Kabbaz or Cego.

I disagree about the shirt issue, kitonbrioni.

Borrelli have more handwork on their shirts than either one of them.

Besides they have bigger buttons than either one of them.

6. redcaimen

redcaimen Bigtime

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have seen circus clowns whose shirts sported buttons far larger than a Borrelli. Unfortunately, even though there was a spotlight on them, the distance was too great to determine the amount of handwork.

7. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I disagree about the shirt issue, kitonbrioni.

Don't take this the worng way but what the hell do bigger buttons and more handwork have to do with which shirt is better made? Handwork is nice, but do you want to subject a hand attached sleeve to a washing machine regularly? I love big MOP buttons and everything but they are a pain to get in the buttonholes. Not trying to be a smartass, but I hear the "this shirt has more handwork so it's better" line a lot and to me it does not make sense.

8. Chris "Italia"

Don't take this the worng way but what the hell do bigger buttons and more handwork have to do with which shirt is better made? Handwork is nice, but do you want to subject a hand attached sleeve to a washing machine regularly? I love big MOP buttons and everything but they are a pain to get in the buttonholes. Not trying to be a smartass, but I hear the "this shirt has more handwork so it's better" line a lot and to me it does not make sense.

Oh, Not really; I did not mean to offend you; I just thought that bigger button holes would be better for some people's tastes...

As for handwork; it really doesn't matter, but, the quality is better with more handwork?

9. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Any machine made shirt of reasonable fabric that was made for your own body looks far better than the finest hand stitched marvel that was made for someone else's body.

10. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Any machine made shirt of reasonable fabric that was made for your own body looks far better than the finest hand stitched marvel that was made for someone else's body.
    If we're really getting down to it, I'd argue that (provided you're going to be wearing a jacket) the only two critical features of a shirt as far as how good it looks are fabric and collar fit/construction.

11. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

Mecnun - those makes of shirts are absolute garbage. They are not fit to clothe my dog, let alone wear in any public setting.

Might I recommend:

Stafford
    Perry Ellis
    Bugle Boy

/Hey, you asked for it....