Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shirts Tailored

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by muchisgiven, Mar 7, 2007.

1. muchisgiven

muchisgiven Senior member

I was wondering if anybody here as ever taken a button down shirt to be tailored. I bought some Polo shirts the other day and they are very wide, I want to get the sides taken in.

I wanted to know if anybody here has had any experience with tailoring shirts.

2. dapperdude

dapperdude Senior member

No, but I bought some BB sportshirts the other day and the sales lady suggested that they could be tailored for a slimmer fit. So, apparently, it can be done. I'm not sure if I will do it, as I'm afraid of ruining an otherwise fine shirt. Curious to hear other experiences...

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

It's an easy fix.

Should cost approx. $15/shirt.

lefty

4. Jaygatsby28

Jaygatsby28 Senior member

It is possible. I have had it done but after seeing nice fitting shirts (custom tailored) I realized how terrible the ones I had altered looked. It is possible, but I would never do it again.

5. bryce330

bryce330 Senior member

I have had this done to many shirts with excellent results. The key is finding a tailor who is good at it. Also, have the shirts taken in at the sides rather than having the tailor put darts in the back.

6. muchisgiven

I have had this done to many shirts with excellent results. The key is finding a tailor who is good at it. Also, have the shirts taken in at the sides rather than having the tailor put darts in the back.

Okay that's a good tip. I'll be taking one of my least favorite shirts...If I like the results then I'll be coming back with a bag full of shirts.

7. Styk33

Styk33 Senior member

My tailor will do darts for $5 cheaper per shirt, compared to taking in the sides. I have only had it done on one shirt that I only wear with a blazer or a suit (no front pocket).

Most shirts fit so badly on me, MTM is the best option for me. Plus the cost is similar, so I figure, why not.

8. ts4them

ts4them Senior member

Is it possible to shorten a button down shirt while maintaining the look of the original hem (i.e.- not straight across)?

9. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Is it possible to shorten a button down shirt while maintaining the look of the original hem (i.e.- not straight across)?
    Yes.

10. bobbers

bobbers Senior member

I had some Polo shirts taken in, as I too find them very wide. Consider having the upper sleeves taken in as well, since those were also billowy on me. The tailor I used took it in along the side/sleeve seam.

11. billiebob

billiebob Senior member

Can anyone recommend someone in NYC to do this for less than $20/shirt? I had my regular cuffs/sleeves tailor try it and it was a disaster.

12. itskub

itskub Senior member

I used to get all my tops tailored, but Im practicing simple alterations myself now. About $15 a shirt is what my tailor charged for button-downs, but she also slimmed down the upper sleeves for a great fit. The better the shirt fits you originally, the better and easier the alteration will be.

As for polos, its a bit more of a gamble. They can always taper the waist, but if your upper body is also small , then it requires much more work and isnt always worth the price.

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

Can anyone recommend someone in NYC to do this for less than $20/shirt? I had my regular cuffs/sleeves tailor try it and it was a disaster.

Start here:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=11723

lefty

14. muchisgiven

I go to this place called the tailor shop, on Rivington and Orchard Street. There are so many tailor shops in that little area. They always do a great job, I've never had any complaints.

15. dapperdude

dapperdude Senior member

I have this problem where my shirts kind of pull in the chest. Between the button below the top one, and the shoulder, there is this visible crease/wrinkle on each side. I can't size up because then it would be too loose in the neck and/or sleeve, and probably too loose elsewhere. Can this kind of thing be fixed by a good tailor?