• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirts & Polo's

inogenius

Reaction score
So, as a recent college graduate (well ... technically still attending, but that's for more degrees) I'm really struggling with the picking out the collared shirts and polo's that are appropriate for the casual office. To me, American Eagle & Abercrombie seem to offer nice shirts and polo's. Stop snickering.

Honestly, help me out and point me in the right direction. Jeans & Pants I seem to have down with PDC, & Ernest Sewns.

As a part of my style, I like the dark wash, low rise, bootcut jeans. The women have said I pull off the brighter colors well, like the pink's, light blues well. The dull, flat (re: like dark green) ones seem to make me look depressed, and that does not fly well for the marketing major.

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Here's why AE/Hollister/Abercrombie/Express/etc all are hated here:

1. Poor quality. My brother buys an AE polo, and after 3-4 washes the color is faded to **** and the shape just doesn't hold up.

2. Obvious branding. They just put their name, logos, and **** all over the place.

3. Fake distressing. All the fraying on the collar and hem of the shirts looks terrible.

4. They've been done before. Really, if you go to a college campus and look around in a crowd of 100 people, 75 will be wearing something from one of those "college lifestyle" companies.

I will never understand how or why these brands have been so popular for so long (it's been, what, ten years that the distressed t-shirt/polo+bootcut jeans+sandals look has been "in"?).

Personally, I would go to H&M. Their polos and button-downs have no branding and they fit really well. Quality is off, but the fit is nice.

The next step is obviously something like Theory or Band Of Outsiders, but those brands can get into the hundreds for a simple button down.

Shakermaker

Reaction score
Apocalypse makes some good points. In a professional environment, do you really want to look like a college student? As casual as the office might be, the destroyed/frayed look is never a good idea. I second the H&M route. Personally, I've never been happier with a $40 button down. You could also look at Ralph Lauren and Lacoste for polos. They are classics and they come in a myriad of colors, so I'm sure you can find your women approved brights. Good luck. (This is coming from someone who works in a casual office, btw)

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mexx, Zara and Club Monaco have a variety of fairly slim, low-priced shirts. I've had good luck there in the past on a student budget.

As far as polos go, I find that American Apparel is a good value.

inogenius

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shakermaker
Apocalypse makes some good points. In a professional environment, do you really want to look like a college student? As casual as the office might be, the destroyed/frayed look is never a good idea. I second the H&M route. Personally, I've never been happier with a $40 button down. You could also look at Ralph Lauren and Lacoste for polos. They are classics and they come in a myriad of colors, so I'm sure you can find your women approved brights. Good luck. (This is coming from someone who works in a casual office, btw)
Right, right. I don't do any of the destroyed stuff ... most of my collection consists of the along these lines ... I will check out H&M though. Lacoste is nothing more than a glorified A&F or AE even. Way over rated simply due to some decent marketing.

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Originally Posted by inogenius
Right, right. I don't do any of the destroyed stuff ... most of my collection consists of the along these lines ... I will check out H&M though. Lacoste is nothing more than a glorified A&F or AE even. Way over rated simply due to some decent marketing.
I would browse these forums a bit more. You don't sound like you have a grasp on style, let alone brand reputation. Lacoste is NOT just a glorified American Eagle--better cuts, better quality, much softer fabric, etc. Oh, and that button-up from A&F is very AmJack. Easy to picture that with distressed bootcut jeans and a pair of Pumas or square-toed Kenneth Coles. Point being--it's been done so much by so many duchebags thinking they're "fashion-forward". If you're fine buying $70 Abercrombie shirts, why not pay a bit more (sometimes less!) for something like Theory for the office? Better cut, better quality, less AmJack, no branding.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I hate Lacoste polos. They are part of the standard Canadian frat-boy uniform (CanJack?). If you're willing to spend that kind of money on a polo shirt, check out Fred Perry. Even better, avoid the logo brands altogether.

Also, the world has too many untucked striped button-ups. Please save our eyes from the pain.

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
Personally, I hate Lacoste polos. They are part of the standard Canadian frat-boy uniform (CanJack?). If you're willing to spend that kind of money on a polo shirt, check out Fred Perry. Even better, avoid the logo brands altogether.

Also, the world has too many untucked striped button-ups. Please save our eyes from the pain.

If they're worn right, they can look good. By picking a Lacoste polo that's not an obnoxious color and one that fits well--pair that with some APC NS and some sleek sneakers and you've created a completely different look from the standard frat duchebag.

inogenius

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apocalypse later
If they're worn right, they can look good. By picking a Lacoste polo that's not an obnoxious color and one that fits well--pair that with some APC NS and some sleek sneakers and you've created a completely different look from the standard frat duchebag.
which could also be done using a&f. i'm not arguing that a&f is some superior brand ... simply pointing out the hypocrisy in your statements. honestly, as someone who's new to styleforum, you read as someone who's jealous of the 'standard frat douchebag' than truly having a reason as to why not wear a&f. anyhow, i will definitely check out the brand names discussed here. thanks!

apocalypse later

Reaction score
which could also be done using a&f. i'm not arguing that a&f is some superior brand ... simply pointing out the hypocrisy in your statements. honestly, as someone who's new to styleforum, you read as someone who's jealous of the 'standard frat douchebag' than truly having a reason as to why not wear a&f.

anyhow, i will definitely check out the brand names discussed here. thanks!

No, I don't believe it could be done with A&F.

Not only are the polos made with a very poor quality fabric, the bigger issue is the branding. While brands shouldn't evoke a certain image/thought, they do. Just as Vans makes people think of skateboarding, A&F gives a very youthful, immature, and juvenile image, not to mention it's simply what "everybody" wears. It'd be like putting a pair of Chucks with a Tuxedo or something (a bit of stretch, but you get my point).

And if I was jealous of the 'standard frat douchebag', I'd try to become one. But life's too short to be a ******* sheep.

calvin1663

Reaction score
you read as someone who's jealous of the 'standard frat douchebag'

1. you posted this thread asking for advice. you got advice. you ignored the advice and attacked the poster for giving it.
than truly having a reason as to why not wear a&f
2. have you read the first reply to your OP?

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to go on the record saying that I like my lacoste polos very much, even post styleforum. They're nicely made, with nice MOP buttons and can be had for not too much money. Glorified A&F they are not. Never have I seen an A&F Polo with Mother of Pearl Buttons.

I' wouldn't mind A&F , AE hollister etc., if it weren't for the obnoxious branding. We're elitist here at SF but on the other hand we do know what we're talking about. I'll say that given the price and appearance of individual pieces of clothing from the perspective of a person who's been living under a rock for the past 10 years, certain things might seem ok if you overlook the branding. After you realize that every dumb **** in college is wearing some variation of AE, Hollister and Abercrombie during the summer, you'll realize it is played out.

The other points you should take away from this thread have already been made by previous posters. Sure, you can wear the brand and not be a douchebag, but the moose and all that definitely brings to mind a poorly adjusted failure at life. Especially if I saw it being worn in my office

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd try to avoid any logos, short of maybe Polo, in a professional setting. Honestly, can you really take someone seriously when they're sporting a big moose on their left pec, or that freakishly HUGE Lowenbrau looking creature on Express' polos?

kakemono

Reaction score
I just hate that the "college lifestyle" are all torn up and that what I hate. I like a much cleaner appearance such as Banana Republic and Ralph Lauren if I go with a mall brand. It looks much more refined.

Ralph Lauren has some super nice feeling polos and can be had a fraction of the price of Lacoste because its less exclusive.

For some nice button downs, you could also check out Ted Baker. I think those are probably my favorite shirts.

rockket

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Souper
I'd like to go on the record saying that I like my lacoste polos very much, even post styleforum. They're nicely made, with nice MOP buttons and can be had for not too much money. Glorified A&F they are not. Never have I seen an A&F Polo with Mother of Pearl Buttons.

Just curious, where can lacoste polos be had for "not too much money?" I've considered getting some, but $72 (vs $30-40 for RL) seems like a lot to shill out for a pretty ordinary polo shirt.

I'll second the Ralph Lauren recommendation and also suggest J. Crew and Brooks Brothers, both of which offer relatively conservative/work appropriate polos & shirts, but are offered in a variety of "brights" and can still be worn stylishly. Also consider what fit you want/what body type you are. If you're used to the relatively slim AE & AF fits, RL custom fit and J Crew slim fit will work for you, and BB not so much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads