• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

[Shirts] [Michael Alden article] The first serious step in bespoke

name

Reaction score
I like this:
http://dresswithstyle.com/2011/09/28/the-first-serious-step-in-bespoke/
So, the first step in bespoke is to get a serious shirt, one that fits, made by the best craftsmen you can’t afford before you step foot inside a tailor’s shop. When you have acquired short term funding from the IMF and had a proper shirt made, have it duplicated in Bangladesh and never (ever) vary from its measures. Then and only then can you venture to the tailors and ask him to make a coat whose sleeves will be calibrated to the shirt’s measures (now a mathematical constant) so the right amount of shirt cuff is revealed.

So basically he suggest two tailors: one who makes the master shirt (preferably in Europe - that's close to me - UK, Italy, France - what is your best recommendation?) and the second one who replicates it (maybe I can send him the master shirt to some place like Hong Kong by post - and he is able to replicate from that?).

What is your take on all of this?

Last edited:

Big Texas

Reaction score
He's being a little bit facetious there. His main point is that you need shirts that fit properly before getting bespoke suits or jackets made (due to the fact that they are calibrated to show some cuff, and that OTR/MTM cuff lengths tend to vary widely, even within one person's wardrobe).

Someone who can't afford bespoke shirts should not be buying bespoke jackets, hence, his sarcastic lines about "securing funding from the IMF" and "copying in Bangladesh."

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
O well, M&S shirt cost as much as a MTO shirts n Hong Kong. I will take the supremacy of European shirt makers with a pitch of salt.

name

Reaction score
He's being a little bit facetious there. His main point is that you need shirts that fit properly before getting bespoke suits or jackets made (due to the fact that they are calibrated to show some cuff, and that OTR/MTM cuff lengths tend to vary widely, even within one person's wardrobe).

Someone who can't afford bespoke shirts should not be buying bespoke jackets, hence, his sarcastic lines about "securing funding from the IMF" and "copying in Bangladesh."

Sure, I completely understood Michael's post, the joke too. So now on to address me question?

To go to a good tailor at first then replicate it cheaper later sounds a sensible idea to me. I greatly appreciate any help.

Last edited:

name

Reaction score
O well, M&S shirt cost as much as a MTO shirts n Hong Kong. I will take the supremacy of European shirt makers with a pitch of salt.
After reading all about your adventures and contradictions with HK tailors, I'd just stay in Europe, as for a starter at least.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you adjust your cuff diameter, all of your shirts will show the same amount of cuff regardless of sleeve length
lookaround.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

To go to a good tailor at first then replicate it cheaper later sounds a sensible idea to me. I greatly appreciate any help.

Replication is not as foolproof as you might be imagining. Also, with any bespoke, ongoing client service over multiple orders is as important as any one specific garment coming out right. The process of bespoke is fraught with human error. You want a tailor who will be a competent ally, not just a guy who sells you stuff.

Johnboy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you adjust your cuff diameter, all of your shirts will show the same amount of cuff regardless of sleeve length
lookaround.gif
That is very clever Mr Diaz, why did I not think of that in all these years. You guys that post all the time must have many tricks you could share. Maybe you could suggest to your friends sharing one with some posts in wayrn. That would be very good or us lurkers to learn with. I hope you like this idea.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is very clever Mr Diaz, why did I not think of that in all these years. You guys that post all the time must have many tricks you could share. Maybe you could suggest to your friends sharing one with some posts in wayrn. That would be very good or us lurkers to learn with. I hope you like this idea.
Be as sarcastic as you like, but sometimes things like this don't seem to be as obvious as they should. Plus, I couldn't care less about showing 5mm less cuff with some shirts than with others. Are we mannequins or something?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After reading all about your adventures and contradictions with HK tailors, I'd just stay in Europe, as for a starter at least.

THe main problem, perhaps is the language difference. I don't believe most Well known European tailors even speaks adequate English. Obviously, if you speak their native language is fine.

Hiras Fashion

Reaction score
We always reiterate to our clients the importance of having a perfectly fitted shirt to go with an equally tailored jacket. This of course will start from getting the individual's precise measurements, right fabric, etc. Hong Kong tailors or not, the goal for us tailors is to give the clients the kind of service they expect backed up by a product suited specifically for them - without necessarily breaking the bank.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads