• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shirts for Bow Ties

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
I need new business shirts. If I wore conventional ties every day, this would be a no-brainer; I'd be getting spread collars. But I like to wear a bow tie about once a week and I remember reading somewhere that bow ties are best with point collar shirts and not so good (aesthetically speaking) with spread collars.

Alas, the budget will not allow for dedicated shirts for bow ties; whatever I buy needs to work with both. Hence, I'm leaning towards a bunch of point collar shirts so that I can swing either way.

Unless, that is, you guys can talk me into bow ties with spread collars. Can you?

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can wear a bowtie with any collar shirt you choose, I wear spead collars all the time and I also wear bowties all the time with no problem. Point collars generally look best, I would just stay away from button downs. If you wear a larger style like 2.5 or up and can get a good tie out of it then you should have no problem wearing one with a spread collar shirt.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually wear my bow ties with an OCBD; but they're also fine with a moderate spread collar.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^ I agree ... a moderate spread is okay.
90% of my shirts have a spread collar of moderate width ... and I wear bow ties about 40% of the time.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy