• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirts: Average bespoke or high end RTW?

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you prefer - a $150 bespoke shirt which will most likely fit well but will have perhaps questionable fabrics and workmanship or a $150 high-end brand (from say Shop the Finest for eg) such as Barba off the rack which will probably not fit (as well) but will have very good fabrics and quality?

I've floated back and forth a bit between the two but I'm now thinking the high end shirt which can then be tailored at a reasonable price (hopefully) is the better option.

What do you think?

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spectre
What do you prefer - a $150 bespoke shirt which will most likely fit well but will have perhaps questionable fabrics and workmanship or a $150 high-end brand (from say Shop the Finest for eg) such as Barba off the rack which will probably not fit (as well) but will have very good fabrics and quality?

I've floated back and forth a bit between the two but I'm now thinking the high end shirt which can then be tailored at a reasonable price (hopefully) is the better option.

What do you think?

$150 AUD or USD? I actually find most RTW shirts a bad deal because my body is a bit awkward to fit. For $150 USD, you could get WW Chan or Ascot Chang no?

kievmeister

Reaction score
Speaking for myself, ever since I had some shirts tailored last year I have not been able to bring myself to buy RTW shirts as the fit just doesn't feel right any longer. I fear I am hooked.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Since I went bespoke I have not bought a single shirt RTW - even though I have at times been tempted by beautiful fabrics and finishing. In the end, however, I know I simply won't wear shirts that don't fit well (I have a 16 1/4" neck, 41" chest, a 31" waist, and short arms, so RTW shirts fit me terribly). I won't even wear some of my early bespoke shirts, from before T&A got the fit nearly right, except for casual settings.

Of course you could get both fit and finish - but that can be hugely expensive (and it is something I have postponed as sterling continues its freefall against the Euro)

Thornhill

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by R.O. Thornhill
....Of course you could get both fit and finish - but that can be hugely expensive...

What's the short list of those that provide both?

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
What's the short list of those that provide both?

I am sure that there are many that I do not know of, but Leonardo Bugelli in Florence would be a good place to start (if you happen to be in Florence that is) - with handsewn buttonholes and sleeve attachments you are however getting close to €250 per shirt. Others on this forum have experience with Anna Matuozzo in Naples. If you do a search there are plenty of photos posted. Beautiful shirts from what I have seen, but pricier than Bugelli. Some time last year a tailor in London offered to take (and measure for) Matuozzo bespoke orders, but the cost was prohibitive (to me).

I have only ever used Turnbull & Asser for bespoke shirts - but may well be changing in the not to distant future (possibly Bugelli)

Thornhill

towen

Reaction score
Unless you are an odd size, you should be able to get a RTW shirt tailored to fit well. It's worth getting at least one shirt made bespoke just to see if you like it much better.

I can't afford equivalent quality bespoke, so I tend to get high end RTW.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one thinks that a guy in a ginormous brioni shirt looks good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads