Shirts and Thick neck..

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bruinsfan, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan Well-Known Member

Dear all,

I was wondering if people have the same problem when buying shirts.
    When I am buying shirts, I have the problem that I can't button the top buttonhole because it just can't fit around my neck. It fits nicely around my shoulders and the rest of my body..
    If I go a size bigger it is fine around my neck but the shirt is then to big for the rest of my body chest downward. Does anyone has the same experience? I am not a oversized guy but because of my sporting activities I got build this way.

please share it.

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Made

To

Measure

welcome!

3. HarleyBob

HarleyBob Senior member

I have the same problem and there is only one answer: custom or made-to-measure shirts. Sorry, but once you go custom, you'll never go back.

4. TexasDan

TexasDan Senior member

Same issue here and MTM is the solution.

5. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

Leave the top button open.

6. jstupple19

jstupple19 Well-Known Member

I too have this problem, but the best solution I've found (short of made-to-measure, which I can't afford :/ ) is to buy fitted or slim fit shirts a size up, because they'll normally fit around my neck but the slimmer fit in the body stops it from billowing out.

7. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Depending on how you're built try different brands and different cuts within the brands. You'll want something cut athletic and likely not something cut slim.

8. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

If it's close, you can size up then tailor down. The danger is sleeve length. Also, avoid breast pockets if you are going this.

9. Jangofett

Jangofett Senior member

Same problem. I think less than 5% of my shirts fit my neck.
    I almost choked when I have to button it to wear a tie during an interview.
    So I have to wear a tie without buttoning the top button.

It doesnt matter most of the time since I wear shirts without a tie, and they are not overwhelmingly tight anyhow.

10. blakewho

blakewho Active Member

11. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I too have this problem, but the best solution I've found (short of made-to-measure, which I can't afford :/ ) is to buy fitted or slim fit shirts a size up, because they'll normally fit around my neck but the slimmer fit in the body stops it from billowing out.

You might be surprised. There are a fair number of places online that do it pretty reasonably these days.

12. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

You might be surprised. There are a fair number of places online that do it pretty reasonably these days.

Yeah, many of the fabric from places like TailorStore and MyTailor are only around £40 per shirt, which really isn't much. I'd rather have one £40 shirt that fits than two £20 shirts which don't.

13. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Same here, i have had some luck with finding appropriate neck sizing's but in slim fit. It usually compensates for the shirt proportions. With a little tailoring to adjust the sleeves and hem, it might be cheaper than MTM. Just a though.

14. newbie123

newbie123 Well-Known Member

I have the exact same problem [​IMG] My neck is 16.5 but my chest is only 36-38''. Most of my OTR casual shirts don't fit in the neck (since I don't button them anyway) but fit very nicely everywhere else. With my dress shirts, I just have them altered and I use moderntailor.com.

15. bobbers

bobbers Senior member

I prefer sizing up and being able to fasten the button than size down and not be able to. Maybe it's just me, but wearing it open with the two sides too far apart to ever meet, it draws attention to our larger than usual necks.

You can start looking into dress shirt brands that are slimmer fitting so that its not too billowy for your neck size. For me, Corneliani and Loro Piana work well.

Alternatively, I take billowy shirt to the tailor get the sides taken in. But this requires an additional expense and also a chance the tailor could mess it up.

Otherwise I go the MTM route; Jantzen or WW Chan.