• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shirts and general fit question for V shaped body

dchun

Reaction score
I have always had a problem finding shirts slim enough for my body. Every dress shirt had to be tailored in the torso area. I recently tried 5th & lamar shirts since they set out to specifically address the large midsection problem.

So far they appear to fit better than most shirts but with my body type I still feel like it can be improved.

My jacket/chest size is 38/40 and waist/pants is 29/30 depending on the store. I find that most "mediums" fit me well in the shoulders but the stomach is way too large. most "smalls" fit better in the stomach but then my shoulders are very cramped, almost to the point where I might tear the seams in certain positions. I would say I have fairly large shoulder muscles and lats because that's where I feel the most discomfort.

Is my best option to go custom? I feel like I can get by but I was wondering if there were any brands that catered to this type of shape before I consider going bespoke.

TexasDan

Reaction score
I have a similar problem. The solution was to go MTM for me.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have always had a problem finding shirts slim enough for my body. Every dress shirt had to be tailored in the torso area. I recently tried 5th & lamar shirts since they set out to specifically address the large midsection problem.

So far they appear to fit better than most shirts but with my body type I still feel like it can be improved.

My jacket/chest size is 38/40 and waist/pants is 29/30 depending on the store. I find that most "mediums" fit me well in the shoulders but the stomach is way too large. most "smalls" fit better in the stomach but then my shoulders are very cramped, almost to the point where I might tear the seams in certain positions. I would say I have fairly large shoulder muscles and lats because that's where I feel the most discomfort.

Is my best option to go custom? I feel like I can get by but I was wondering if there were any brands that catered to this type of shape before I consider going bespoke.
You could always just get them tailored. It is usually like a $10-$15 job.

Costanza

Reaction score
I have the same drop and find several 'slim fit' shirts work fine for me. I guess it depends on how tight you want it to be. I'm happy with minimal bunching at the waist band. There is a thread on slim fits btw.

Birks and Grey Socks

Reaction score
MTM.

I have the same problem. I bought a sewing machine and learned to take in the sides and sleeves on my shirts. It takes 30 min per shirt. Less time than going to the shops and trying and retrying shirts that don't fit to my satisfaction.

Rincon

Reaction score
Just buy a large and get the shirt taken in. Should only cost $15-$20.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same here and like others have said, every shirt gets altered to fit. Usually a matter of darting the back.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, just go MTM. You'll be happier. It'll save you time in the long run too.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
regarding the minmal bunching at the waist, how to solve this?

get the waist taken in really tight to the body, and/or get MTM shirts with tailored waists?

on the contrary, i think a fuller waist, but not loose, will perhaps be better to solving the extra material bunching.

THAT, or it has to do with how tight the actually waist is on the pants. I think it is the latter; bunching being a result of the tightness in your waistband of trousers.

negusnegas

Reaction score
I agree with the above poster. It is likely a combination of trousers waist and shirt waist. The lower the waist on your trousers and/or looser the waist on your trousers the more difficult it will be to avoid bunching. I use to battle the same thing and found that slightly higher waisted trousers minimized the bunching effect a great deal.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found darting slim fit shirts works well, but some guys hate the look of them.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I found darting slim fit shirts works well, but some guys hate the look of them.

For me, the choice of having darts vs having my shirts balloon out of my back is a no brainer.

Last edited:

Verniza

Reaction score
I'd second the MTM notion.

Like you I have a V shape, 38" chest drop 7 with a 15.75"-16" neck. Most of my shirts had to be taken in due to it being too big if it fits my neck. My Finamore and Borrellis don't fit me at all and had to be taken in at the sleeves/waist/length. Negating my savings.

Although, SF-ers forgive me for saying this, fashion labels fit me perfectly. Shirts from Gucci, Burberry, Dior etc fits me perfectly both in the neck and the waist because it is cut ridiculously slim. If you can forgo quality for fit and wanna go OTR you could try fashion labels out.

Midnight

Reaction score
You might want to try TM Lewin Slim Fit. The width at the waist is generally 7.5 inches narrower than the width at the chest.

david3558

Reaction score
Would one recommend darting over just having the shirt taken in from the sides?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads