Shirtmakers in Toronto

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by FCS, Sep 8, 2006.

1. FCS

FCS Senior member

Any recommendation? I am pretty much looking for someone offering good value and if they could make something close to Jantzen's quality I will be satisfied.

I know that Trend Custom Tailors has been mentioned a few times and I will check them out sometimes soon. I will also check this shop Michel's (recommended by my tailor) at Cheswood & Sheppard tomorrow afternoon.

What is the price range at Trend? Most likely I will bring my own fabrics.

2. gj555

gj555 Senior member

Anyone recommendation? I am pretty much looking for someone offering good value and if they could make something close to Jantzen's quality I will be satisfied.

I know Trend Custom Tailors been mentioned a few times and I will check them out sometimes soon. I will also check this shop Michel's (recommended by my tailor) at Cheswood & Sheppard tomorrow afternoon.

What is the price range at Trend? Most likely I will bring my own fabrics.

Does Trend make shirts?

The only local shirtmaker I have used is Ridolfi Shirtmakers located on Steeles near Keele. Really nice people to deal with, but the price of their shirts has gone up significantly over the last 3-4 years. Used to be in the $90-$120 range now they are mostly in the $150 range. While for some this may be reasonable, split yokes and MOP buttons are extra. Also, the side seems have 2 rows of stitching. I presume single needle sides would also cost extra.

If you decide to order shirts from them, have them make the collar 1/4 inch bigger than their measurement. Also, I find their standard cut to be a little on the loose side, so make sure you tell them you would like it a little more fitted.

3. Sam_TO

Sam_TO New Member

Why not just visit the Hong Kong tailor? He's in town this week at the Sheraton downtown. Shirts are 3 for 135 + duty (25%). Excellent quality fabrics too.

4. reado

reado Member

Why not just visit the Hong Kong tailor? He's in town this week at the Sheraton downtown. Shirts are 3 for 135 + duty (25%). Excellent quality fabrics too.

The tailor that Sam_TO is talking about are the guys from Maxwell Clothiers (http://www.maxwellsclothiers.com). I have never ordered from them before but a few of my friends have and they have been pretty happy.....

Has anyone else used them before?

5. nmoraitis

nmoraitis Senior member

Yeah, I have used them for one shirt, because they visit the Kitchener area also. I was not happy with the fit. The shirt was very large around the waist, and I specifically asked over and over again that I wanted a very slim fit. Quatlity and cloth selection is not bad (double stiching, plastic buttons), so if your not picky about fit around the waist, than by all means use them.

6. FCS

FCS Senior member

Thanks for the replies, folks. I am trying to find a local shirtmaker as I would like to get a few shirts done really right, especially after losing about 15 kg (about 7-10 kg more to go). Those shirts that I got from Ricky Ho and WW Chan just 2 months ago are now baggy. I am aware of Maxwell but would rather use Jantzen (quality is a notch better, my impression anyways) for another mail order.

GJ, thanks for mentioning Ridolfi. I came across their website a few months ago but was never inclined to check them out. Is there any particular reason why you stop going there?

I believe MilanoStyle once mentioned that Trend also made shirts.

7. gj555

gj555 Senior member

Thanks for the replies, folks. I am trying to find a local shirtmaker as I would like to get a few shirts done really right, especially after losing about 15 kg (about 7-10 kg more to go). Those shirts that I got from Ricky Ho and WW Chan just 2 months ago are now baggy. I am aware of Maxwell but would rather use Jantzen (quality is a notch better, my impression anyways) for another mail order.

GJ, thanks for mentioning Ridolfi. I came across their website a few months ago but was never inclined to check them out. Is there any particular reason why you stop going there?

I believe MilanoStyle once mentioned that Trend also made shirts.

I stopped going to Ridolfi because I can be frugal sometimes. They raised the price to $150 and then MOP buttons, split yokes, and single needle stitching down the sides were extra (rest of the shirt was single needle). Add to that a minimum order of 3 and the $$$ added up. I tried Jantzen and found them acceptable for the price. I still go to Ridolfi on occassion to buy some ties. He often has some premium ties in the back that he does not display and offers good prices on them. I have not ruled out using them again. My tailor told me that they have a very good reputation amongst the local garment manufacturers.

Did you end up going to Michel's? What were your impressions? My tailor said they were very expensive.

8. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Without meaning to hijack this thread, I am looking for a good alterations tailor in Toronto. I have used some for basic stuff like hemming and waist alterations but hesitate to give them more complicated work like jackets... Any recommendations? Thanks

9. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

The tailor that Sam_TO is talking about are the guys from Maxwell Clothiers (http://www.maxwellsclothiers.com). I have never ordered from them before but a few of my friends have and they have been pretty happy.....

My Dad just had two suits and three shirts made by them. The fabric on one of the suits is exceptional. The shirt fabric is also quite nice. The construction isn't Kiton, but neither is the price. For ultimate results though, for the price, Jantzen is still the way to go. From what my Dad tells me Maxwell was very easy to deal with and interested in getting the results right.

When I start my next job I'll need a need suit so I'm on their list next time they visit.

A.

10. fatherseanfan

fatherseanfan Senior member

My Dad just had two suits and three shirts made by them.

A.

how much does he charge for suits?

11. office drone

office drone Senior member

Yeah, I have used them for one shirt, because they visit the Kitchener area also. I was not happy with the fit. The shirt was very large around the waist, and I specifically asked over and over again that I wanted a very slim fit. Quatlity and cloth selection is not bad (double stiching, plastic buttons), so if your not picky about fit around the waist, than by all means use them.

Yeah...they came to Vancouver in June and I got my suits and shirts 3 weeks ago. Agree that the shirts are cut very generously...even though they take all those measurements! (I don't think they honour requests for modern/slim fit type suits/shirts, b/c honestly I think they're too traditional, but I could be wrong) However if you email them after your order saying you need alterations, they'll point you towards a local tailor who'll alter whatever you want, and they bill Maxwell's directly. Apparently Maxwell's will then note your alterations and fix your measurements on file accordingly (tailor said), so the next items orders should fit fine.

I got the tailor to slim down the shirt sleeves and waist...but he can only take them in so much..but I'll let you know how it goes. The suit jacket was cut very wide in the waist also, so had to get that altered too. My suit pants were the traditional fit...roomy...not too slim fitting, but then again I didn't tell them I wanted that...which I should have. All in all, the choice of fabrics and details you could choose (except fit) was pretty good...just get their tailor to get it right.

12. office drone

office drone Senior member

how much does he charge for suits?

Here are the prices when they came to Vancouver:
    Suits: $395-$495 (depending on the fabric..standard is the lower price, more expensive ie. Zegna is the higher price)
    Shirts: 3 for $135
    One cool wool suit + 3 shirts: $499 (lighter wool suit..for summer)
    Two suits (regular fabric) + 4 shirts: $1099

You pay the above prices at time of fitting, and when they deliver, they charge COD for GST and shipping:
    Shirt: $12
    Suit: $90

13. gj555

gj555 Senior member

Without meaning to hijack this thread, I am looking for a good alterations tailor in Toronto. I have used some for basic stuff like hemming and waist alterations but hesitate to give them more complicated work like jackets... Any recommendations? Thanks

Oops. Meant to answer this question when you previously asked.

The alterations tailor at Robert Jones menswear in Royal Bank Plaza. I don't like the store, or their merchandise but their tailor is excellent. When I lost a lot of weight after a flare up of my crohns disease (about 4 years ago), the tailor at Robert Jones did an amazing job fixing all of my jackets (none of which were purchased there). I do not know the extent to which they will still do alterations for clothes not purchased int their store, but it is worth a shot.

Thornhill Tailors on Yonge at Centre Street. I have not done major work with him, but he seems competent. While he bills himself as a custom tailor, it is my understanding he outsources all of that type of work and is really an alterations guy.

There are 2 alterations places that I have used that serve men and woman and include tailors and dressmakers on staff. These places have done an excellent job for me but are very expensive. Don't know the name, but the alterations place at the corner of davenport and dupont is first rate.

Stychin Time on Yonge at Castlefield (Yonge a few blocks north of Eglington). Top notch alterations on jackets and pants. The owner even re-cut my pants once because she did not like where the pleat was located and the way it was hanging.

14. FCS

FCS Senior member

Did you end up going to Michel's? What were your impressions? My tailor said they were very expensive.

Yeah, I did check Michel's last weekend. I didn't see anything that really wowed me though. Single needle stitching and split yokes are standard construction specs, I suppose, but he uses plastic(iky) buttons unless requested otherwise. He quoted me $125 for CMT. The only fabrics that I asked was an Acorn heavyweight (>200 gr) Oxford and he mentioned that the price would have been $225.

Did your tailor give you his opinion on Michel's shirts?

15. farooqm

farooqm Senior member

hey gj555, was the tailor an older italian fellow, and is it the store on the right side going towards union? if so, I just had a suit done by him and I am very impressed, charged a great price too. I would highly recommend him.