• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shirtmaker in US (or UK) that has soft collars

savvyibd

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2008
Messages
217
Reaction score
0
I'm looking for a shirt maker in the US or the UK (he better be damn good), that has a soft collar, somewhat like Anna. I was just in Napoli, and going to Rubinacci was enough southern Italia for me. So can anybody recommend a tailor; NYC is fine. But I'd like a collar like hers. Handwork only matters where it makes a different in the feel of the shirt.
 

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
9,420
Reaction score
289
Did you not enjoy your experience?
 

savvyibd

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2008
Messages
217
Reaction score
0
Hated every moment of it. But I didn't want to derail this thread on that - thought about starting a new thread on my experience in Napoli.
 

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
14,384
Reaction score
2,073
Originally Posted by savvyibd
Hated every moment of it. But I didn't want to derail this thread on that - thought about starting a new thread on my experience in Napoli.
Were you their recently? Did Mariano treat you badly?
 

BeyondBespoke

Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2008
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by savvyibd
I'm looking for a shirt maker in the US or the UK (he better be damn good), that has a soft collar, somewhat like Anna. I was just in Napoli, and going to Rubinacci was enough southern Italia for me. So can anybody recommend a tailor; NYC is fine. But I'd like a collar like hers. Handwork only matters where it makes a different in the feel of the shirt.
Try Geneva Custom Shirts in NYC. I've heard good things, but don't have first-hand experience.
 

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 20, 2002
Messages
41,583
Reaction score
2,855
I use Geneva. They have three standard interlinings. I get the softest they carry. I have never actually felt an AM collar between my fingertips, so I can't say whether the Geneva collar is softer or not. It probably isn't.

Also, the cutting traditions are totally different. I love my Geneva shirts, but they are not Neapolitan by any stretch.
 

savvyibd

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2008
Messages
217
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Manton
I use Geneva. They have three standard interlinings. I get the softest they carry. I have never actually felt an AM collar between my fingertips, so I can't say whether the Geneva collar is softer or not. It probably isn't.

Also, the cutting traditions are totally different. I love my Geneva shirts, but they are not Neapolitan by any stretch.


Can you post some examples for me, please?

And you said they start at 150 a shirt, right?
 

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 20, 2002
Messages
41,583
Reaction score
2,855
Originally Posted by savvyibd
Can you post some examples for me, please?

And you said they start at 150 a shirt, right?


No, they start at $225 last time I checked.

There are exampes, if you search my name and Geneva, you will find them.
 

savvyibd

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2008
Messages
217
Reaction score
0
Found them. Going with Geneva and CEGO until I lose the weight I want to.
 

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
4,328
Reaction score
44
I have a gieves and hawkes shirt where the cuffs and collar aren't fused. That's about as soft as you can get.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 27 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 257 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 124 15.8%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 69 8.8%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 47 6.0%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 2.9%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.7%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.2%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 100+

    Votes: 50 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,798
Messages
9,224,095
Members
193,622
Latest member
rbsocizo
Top