• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt/Tie/Top Button Open: OK For Work?

adamm411

Reaction score
I've seen this look a few times in the fashion mags. A button down shirt with just the top button open and a tie. Can I rock that at work? Or will it look too try hard? Or is that just a "going out" look?

PS: I saw this look on the Oct issue of GQ magazine: Josh Hartnett it says on the cover.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the look you are going for. If you want a more comfortable, casual look, then go for it. I would have done it at the last job I worked at but the rule was that the top button needs to be buttoned.

Be careful though, you risk looking drunk.

tom288

Reaction score
The only time I think that would be appropriate is for after a day at work, like the drive home or relaxing around the house. Work it would not be appropriate, if work attire dictates a tie/suit, wear it properly...IMO

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your work requires a suit, it would look awkward in most settings to unbutton it. My job was as a programmer so it worked just fine, but it would look weird seeing a lawyer or banker not having the top button buttoned. I also think you need be younger than 35 to pull the look off.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It depends on your industry and your job. In my office, it's quite common. In fact, having just come out of my last meeting of the day, I think I'll loosen my tie right now. If you don't see those around you doing it, this is a situation where I'd run with the herd.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As everyone has said, you risk looking "exasperated", like you just got a dressing-down from the boss behind closed doors. If the office is laid back, though, go for it. Just make sure you still look neat. And never before lunchtime.

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by adamm411
I've seen this look a few times in the fashion mags. A button down shirt with just the top button open and a tie. Can I rock that at work? Or will it look too try hard? Or is that just a "going out" look?

PS: I saw this look on the Oct issue of GQ magazine: Josh Hartnett it says on the cover.

I always have the top button unbuttoned and just tighten my double windsor a bit more to compensate. A trick my tailor and I agree on. It goes completely unnoticed, still looks formal and makes it MUCH more comfortable to wear

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nighttrain7404
I always have the top button unbuttoned and just tighten my double windsor a bit more to compensate. A trick my tailor and I agree on. It goes completely unnoticed, still looks formal and makes it MUCH more comfortable to wear

I do the same thing, but only when wearing OTR shirts. the real reason is that I am slim and should use a 39 ( 15 1/2" ) shirt. the problem is that here most OTR shirts come in S ( 37/38 ) M ( 39/40 ), if I get an S it'll fit perfectly except for the neck and if I get an M the neck will fill well but the shirt will fit badly ( baggy and the shoulders/sleeves out of place.

If I wear a better quality slim cut shirt in 39 I keep the button done.

( P.S. the European measurements are in cm )

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I personally will only do this if I am working beyond regular business hours... i.e. if I am still at the office after 6:00 p.m. or so it's fine to loosen the tie, undo the top button and roll-up the sleeves...

I guess my thought is, if you're going to wear a tie in the first place just do it the right way. Otherwise, why wear a tie at all.

And quite honestly, I would recommend against taking real-life fashion cues from the cover of GQ Magazine... celebrities like Josh Hartnett don't work 9-5 and most of them wouldn't have a clue how to dress if they didn't have stylists to lay everything out for them.

adamm411

Reaction score
This is EXACTLY what I am dealing with. I was measured 16" neck, 32" sleeve. When I go to buy shirts, that means I usually have to buy a size large to get the correct neck size. Then the sleeves are too long, the chest measurement too wide, and I can build a small sail with the extra material around the waist. Usually, a size small works best for me EXCEPT for the neck size (which is a 14 to 14.5" in a small). I can button it up with a lot of effort, but it's very uncomfortable and I can't really move in it. Adamm
Originally Posted by lakewolf
I do the same thing, but only when wearing OTR shirts. the real reason is that I am slim and should use a 39 ( 15 1/2" ) shirt. the problem is that here most OTR shirts come in S ( 37/38 ) M ( 39/40 ), if I get an S it'll fit perfectly except for the neck and if I get an M the neck will fill well but the shirt will fit badly ( baggy and the shoulders/sleeves out of place. If I wear a better quality slim cut shirt in 39 I keep the button done. ( P.S. the European measurements are in cm )

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say the rules are exactly the same for when it's okay to roll up your sleeves. On that topic, I have read in advice columns that business casual wearers in temperate climates are more stylish to roll their sleeves up in the summer than wear short-sleeve shirts because it makes it look like you're working harder.
smile.gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Yeah, never ever fall into the cliche of short sleeve shirts with a tie. It looks bad and just really unprofessional. Now, as for ties with open collar; any time you do this, make sure your tie is just loosened enough for moving around comfortably. When you loosen it too much, yes, you look drunk. It doesn't matter where you are or what you're doing.
tounge.gif
Here's an example of the right way to pull it off from Mr. McGregor. Notice how his tie doesn't droop... a lot of people make that mistake and it looks sloppy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads