• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt, Tie, Suit Coordination question....

MunnyGuy

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I appreciate all you advice (whether complementary or critical). I recently bought a couple of shirts from a travelling Tailor representing a group called Elegant Rochees (aka The Tailored Man). I wanted to try out their service. All in all the shirts are OK but I am a little underwhelmed (Fused collars, non removable collar stays, At least they removed the pocket and upgraded the buttons). All in all better than an OTR for the same price.

As I have posted before I am getting a little more daring due to the SF influence. I picked one material that is a mini check, FC and Continental Collar. I have 2 SB Navy Pinstripe suits, One Black SB, 2 DB Navy Pinstripe suits. What would you pair this shirt with and what type of tie?

Picture106-vi.jpg

Picture108-vi.jpg

Ties (the bottom row are my "A" ties others are just fillers:
septemberphotos002-vi.jpg

septemberphotos007-vi.jpg

septemberphotos009-vi.jpg

septemberphotos010-vi.jpg

septemberphotos011-vi.jpg

Suits:
SEDGEWICK SB, 2 Button, Notch Lapel, Navy with White Pinstripe. Pleated Pant with Cuff.

septemberphotos013-vi.jpg

septemberphotos012-vi.jpg

septemberphotos014-vi.jpg

CANALI DB, Navy with light Pinstripe. Pleated Pant with Cuff
septemberphotos018-vi.jpg

septemberphotos019-vi.jpg

septemberphotos020-vi.jpg

ZEGNA DB, Peak Label, Navy with Red and White Pinstripe. Pleated Pant NO Cuff
septemberphotos021-vi.jpg

septemberphotos023-vi.jpg

septemberphotos024-vi.jpg

Hugo Boss, SB, 3 Button Navy Pinstripe. Pleated Pant NO Cuff
septemberphotos025-vi.jpg

septemberphotos026-vi.jpg

septemberphotos027-vi.jpg

I also have a Canali SB, Black 2 Button Suit (at Cleaners) Pleated Pant NO Cuff. And a new BOSS SB Black with Flat Front trouser NO Cuff.

MunnyGuy

Reaction score
Ok... no responses. Let me rephrase. What kind of tie would work with this. I just get leary of mixing patterns.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as it isn't a similar color check, I think almost anything is fair game. Honestly the shirt pattern is fairly subtle according to the photos so it is wide open. Maybe if you took a shot of your ties and maybe a group shot of the suits you'd get more replies -- to some here it would even seem restrained.

edit: looks like a nice shirt if it fits well and was under $100 or so? The lack of removable stays is a dealbreaker for me, though.

MunnyGuy

Reaction score
Shirt actually fits right as it is a Custom (a lower end Hong Kong Custom...) It was $45 USD. I will take some pics and update the post.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have colleagues that often tell me that you cannot wear this with that and so on. For example: you cannot wear a striped shirt with a pinstripe suit.
I think most of those rules are BS. They remind me of people saying "I don't like blond girls" or "I do not like brunettes". There are so many exceptions...
I think that the main problem is that some combinations can look very "busy". But that depends not only on the "kind" of pattern, but has to be evaluated for each specific case. It is something you got to feel. Try it on, look in the mirror, and decide. Also, some of us like to look busy, others don't. One of my favourite combos is a dark brown pinstripe suit (with narrow, kind of white stripes), a shirt with wider stripes (in a kind of burgundy colour), and a tie with even wider stripes (burgundy, brown and mauve).
Of course, I may just have a lousy taste...

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirt looks nice.

I would go with either a pindot, polka dot or other abstract design. Solid might be too plain.

Small Paisleys spaced apart might also be good.

Avoid stripes or uniform squares, the shirt is busy enough.

DuffAnderson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MunnyGuy
Shirt actually fits right as it is a Custom (a lower end Hong Kong Custom...) It was $45 USD. I will take some pics and update the post.

was the $45 a special price? i just checked the website and they quote shirts cost from $58-98. also, could you have asked for the collar to not be fused and have removable stays? and how long did they take?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful check.

I've become partial to pairing grenadines with fancier checks.

MunnyGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DuffAnderson
was the $45 a special price? i just checked the website and they quote shirts cost from $58-98. also, could you have asked for the collar to not be fused and have removable stays? and how long did they take?

The price is for their Trunk Show clients. Sundar Daswani comes to town once every month or so and brings all his material samples. I am looking into getting non fused collars and cuffs in the future.

BTW, Pics added to original post now.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no close-up of it but from here, I would pick the tie in the top row, second from the right (or the bottom row, 3rd from right)

MunnyGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
There's no close-up of it but from here, I would pick the tie in the top row, second from the right (or the bottom row, 3rd from right)

These ones?

septemberphotos028-vi.jpg

septemberphotos029-vi.jpg

septemberphotos030-vi.jpg

The second one, is this considered a Grenadine pattern? I am not familiar with this term.

MunnyGuy

Reaction score
Also which suit would you pair it with? Can I get away with wearing my Chili Lamberts with any of those suits?

I am not familiar with Jantzens product. There have been a few quality control issues, but always dealt with professionally.

UMass

Reaction score
I prefer a solid blue tie or one with less pattern because you have a lot going with checks shirt and pinstirpe suit.
You need a solid color to bridge those patterns.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads