• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

shirt, tie, shoes with Light grey DB

justonemore

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just trying to put together something a bit lighter for my upcoming trip to the states.

First..The suit is light grey..right? If so, then the tan shoes should work...right?

Second...I'm worried the light white/grey checks in the shirt aren't dark enough & the overall color bleeds into the suit...

3rd.... while the light grey speaks summer, does the brown seem to autumnal?

4th...as to shirts...I suppose plain white is a bit too off? As are plain lighter colors such as pink & lavender?

To be used for a broadway play (lion king) and maybe church with the parents once. Maybe dinner out but I doubt it (light SCs over suit in the summer for dinner).

I was thinking about this navy stripe as a secondary...

a few alternative thoughts for shoes...

Too much of an "autumn" shoe?

Double monks..shell 8 & calf brown..

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think all of that's quite nice. Might be a little nicer with a shirt that isn't in shades of gray, like a light blue check. I'd recommend a white hank. I can't cosign saddle shoes with a DB suit.

justonemore

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. We're leaving in 12 hours. Happily I have a rather full closet. Lol

I have to admit that the saddles where a wild shot.

Do you think the tan shoes will work with the lighter grey suit?

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. We're leaving in 12 hours. Happily I have a rather full closet. Lol

I have to admit that the saddles where a wild shot.

Do you think the tan shoes will work with the lighter grey suit?
They're alright, but I'd prefer a deeper tan. Something the color of the main part of the saddles could work, or the darker quarter brogues. The dark monks could work well, too.

Hope you have a good flight!

colco

Reaction score
The color 8 shoes look best (what doesn't look good with color 8?). I don't like the shirt, plain white or light blue would look nicer IMO. White and light grey would be very elegant with the blue striped tie.

justonemore

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by colco View Post

The color 8 shoes look best (what doesn't look good with color 8?). I don't like the shirt, plain white or light blue would look nicer IMO. White and light grey would be very elegant with the blue striped tie.

If so, it then becomes a queastion as to which 8... lol

the double monks seem a bit flashy with a DB...

The bals seem a bit formal with a DB

The tassels are a bit informal

Last edited:

colco

Reaction score
Oxford lace-ups seem too formal with a db? We run in very different circles :)

justonemore

Reaction score
To my knowledge DBs are considered lounge suits & therefore less formal than SBs (particularly in the same color, pattern, etc.)

But...that doesn't matter as much as the final answer....so.... you'd go with the bals?

Last edited:

colco

Reaction score
I have heard the same. In this day and age I'd expect you'd find more folks that think a db more formal (I know I do when I wear mine). Anyway, oxfords with suits, right?

justonemore

Reaction score
Ok. And you agree that 8 shell is the way to go for the lighter grey suit? or tans? Or browns? I could go black too but that's no fun with the brown tie...

Midnight wouldn't work, would it?

Last edited:

colco

Reaction score
Yes to Color 8. Don't like tan shoes with a suit unless cotton or seersucker. Brown is better with blue. I'd wear black if it were an evening event I suppose. All my opinion. I find grey suits in general to be very elegant so like to keep a simple palette. White shirt, black or navy tie, white hank, black or burg shoes for instance. Yours looks nice, so accessorize simply and enjoy it.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 99 34.3%
  • 8”

Votes: 88 30.4%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 33 11.4%
  • 9”

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.4%