• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt, tie, shoe combination for this suit

chappy76

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm very new at the whole suit and tie scene and don't want to look like a prat when I got into a new job in a couple of weeks, so could use some assistance with the following suit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-PALASSO-SUIT...QQcmdZViewItem

I'd also like to show some style with it, as opposed to the standard black shoes and remember reading that brown shoes would be ok for this kind of suit but can't remember whether it was dark or light brown.

Any comments?

I'd also like an idea as to the sort of shirt and tie combination people would wear with this.

Thanks heaps,

Chappy.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chappy76
Hi,

I'm very new at the whole suit and tie scene and don't want to look like a prat when I got into a new job in a couple of weeks, so could use some assistance with the following suit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-PALASSO-SUIT...QQcmdZViewItem

I'd also like to show some style with it, as opposed to the standard black shoes and remember reading that brown shoes would be ok for this kind of suit but can't remember whether it was dark or light brown.

Any comments?

I'd also like an idea as to the sort of shirt and tie combination people would wear with this.

Thanks heaps,

Chappy.

Be careful with the size on that. He's got it marked as a 46R and it measures more like a 42 or 43R. As for shoes, I think dark oak colored laceups would be great. I would never wear black shoes with that suit.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, i think black shoes with a brown suit would be a little fashion forward for a work situation. As far as shoes, a dark brown oxford seems like it would work.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Dark oak shoes would go well. However, they'd be a bit monochromatic. I actually think mid-tan (i.e., "London Tan" or "Edwardian") is a great color to match with dark brown trousers/suits.

nomovement

Reaction score
ebay, risky. yeah-especially for that suit-which does measure small...and the pleats?......but, back to the question at hand. your original question has a hidden question in it: "how do I look good within a dress code?" now, be happy that you're not starting at best buy and you don't have to make khaki and blue work..but, even with a dress code or any different arena of style, how the clothes look on you is going to be more important than if your belt and shoes are the same hue or if your tie really coordinates with the pinstripes on your jacket-these are refined details. So, just like with jeans and t-shirts, too big is sloppy and baggy (and, in the office, get ready for this. a lot of guys think that if they buy a size bigger then they'll be more comfy) too small is um, maybe the public's view of "fashion forward" aka not professional enough; but most importantly, your proportions will be off. So, concentrate on fit. when you have to wear a uniform, your body is all you have that can distinguish you from others so make sure that whatever you get is true to your form...which means that you should probably get off ebay. go try things on. make sure you can get your slacks to feel as comfy as your jeans-a good tailor can help.

also, you might need to look more into a navy or grey suit as they can be worn in every season and are usually the sartorial rule of thumb for a first suit. these semi neutral tones will allow you to be as aggressive or conservative with your shirt and tie combos; which is most of what people will see you in anyway as you will be doing office work right? most of the time, you'll wear your jacket to and from the office and then to lunch and meetings only the rest of the time. so, get some nice shirts that you feel comfortable in. and remember, if your clothes fit well, any mistake you make will look like its on purpose.

chappy76

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Wow, thanks heaps for the advice, much appreciated. As I say, I'm very new to this game and need as much advice as I can get!!

I didn't actually buy the size as noted in that advert, I bought a 42r but my reason for posting that one is that the advert will be up a while and so people can view it for making the comments! Sorry if I was confusing.

The suit arrived last week and is a decent fit for me. The pants are unhemmed and, with the other suits I've bought, will be taken to the tailors to have the necessary work done on them before I start my job. I bought a black suit with a dark tone and a dark grey suit and a charcoal suit as well. The colour matching with these doesn't seem as difficult as with this one, hence the request for advice.

Now, for an embarrasingly stupid question. Suit protocol - one a day, or one every two days with a change of shirt and tie each day??? What's the accepted?

Thanks again,

Chappy

nomovement

Reaction score
and here I gave you all that newbie advice for nothing. Keep in mind with suits that nobody's paying as much attention to you as yourself (wait, you don't work in a law office do you?) and if you stick with the neutral colors, you'll be fine with wearing your suits the way you normally get dressed in the morning i.e. what you feel like wearing that day-and definitely don't schedule your suit wear-poeple will notice then. also, If you already have 3 suits before even starting the job; then you'll probably be able to accrue a more than decent amount of suits without sweating too much!!

chappy76

Reaction score
ha ha, no, not in a law office.

listen, thanks for the advice. In the past couple of weeks I've been doing purchases of my suits and a few ties and am now moving on to the shirts, belts and shoes.

It's important that I get the right look that I want to convey when I walk in, so will need to get my suits done and try to get the right ties with the right suits (i think this is the most important aspect of what you wear as this is what people see first of all).

Any protocols re my number of consecutive suit wearing days?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chappy76
Any protocols re my number of consecutive suit wearing days?

I myself would not wear the same suit on consecutive days. But if it's an unobtrusive color/pattern, it's possible no one would notice.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I myself would not wear the same suit on consecutive days. But if it's an unobtrusive color/pattern, it's possible no one would notice.
Same here. Since you have several suits, though, there's really no reason to wear the same one on successive days - just rotate them.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Same here. Since you have several suits, though, there's really no reason to wear the same one on successive days - just rotate them.

I would add that your suits will look better (and may last longer) if you hang them up for a "rest" between wearings, let the wrinkles fall out, etc.

chappy76

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I wasn't sure if it was an accepted practice or whether people just threw in a different shirt and tie on the other days. I ask as I go to the gym before work and it would just be that much simpler!

chappy76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Dark oak shoes would go well. However, they'd be a bit monochromatic. I actually think mid-tan (i.e., "London Tan" or "Edwardian") is a great color to match with dark brown trousers/suits.

Wouldn't the mid-tan be a little too contrasting with the suit colour? And I was of the belief that a belt should match the shoes. If this is the case wouldn't the belt be a bit too noticeable?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
The belt and shoes don't have to be the EXACT same shade. But I hardly wear belts anyways, so don't listen to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads