• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt, Tie, Pocket Square for blue steel suit advice

Zrngr

Reaction score
Hey, I want to first thank SF for the huge amount of knowledge and experience. I can say that I will never buy a fuzed jacket again and I am way more savvy than I was.

What I need some suggestions on is this SS suit I love. I want to wear more with it than just a white shirt, so what are your suggestions for patterns and colors. I'm thinking an off white or light beige shirt and a mid brown kit tie would work but other than that I am at a loss.

I think this tie : http://r.ebay.com/qL3RQV
But what other ties could be an option?

What are your thoughts?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, I want to first thank SF for the huge amount of knowledge and experience. I can say that I will never buy a fuzed jacket again and I am way more savvy than I was.

What I need some suggestions on is this SS suit I love. I want to wear more with it than just a white shirt, so what are your suggestions for patterns and colors. I'm thinking an off white or light beige shirt and a mid brown kit tie would work but other than that I am at a loss.

I think this tie : http://r.ebay.com/qL3RQV
But what other ties could be an option?

What are your thoughts?

Off the top of my head, a burgundy or port grenadine tie, a navy knit or wool tie, and a blue and dream POW (Prince-of-Wales) tie would all work.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Light blue shirts would work fine. Brown, burgundy, and navy grenadine ties would all work. Does the suit have a light brown windowpane?

tjhe22

Reaction score
I am 54 can I wear a suit with narrow lapels

Zrngr

Reaction score
Wow I totally didn't see the burgundy working but I can see it now. Thanks!

Zrngr

Reaction score
Light blue shirts would work fine. Brown, burgundy, and navy grenadine ties would all work. Does the suit have a light brown windowpane?

Yeah it has a big check with the same color brown as the back of the vest, so I know I can work that color. What do you think about medium brown jeans? Kinda the opposite of a medium blue shirt with jeans and a brown sport coat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads