• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt/Tie combo for a charcoal suit?

ArmandHammer

Reaction score
Suit looks like this

Occasion is for a wedding although I am not part of the groom party.

I was thinking a red or light blue tie on a white or white-on-white striped shirt?

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with light blue. Red ties (like, crimson, as opposed to burgundy) tend to be a little bold and attention-getting.

ArmandHammer

Reaction score
Might go for this shirt http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Double+TWO+Cotton+rich+formal+shirt/182387641,default,pd.html

And I like the blue tie here http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Linea+Ribbed+silk+tie/147060856,default,pd.html however the shape looks odd at the bottom and quite wide at the top/middle. In fact, the lilac colour option looks to be a thinner tie entirely.

I'd prefer a shape like this, but I think the colour is too dark http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Skopes+TA0960+tie/121215522,default,pd.html

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I'd assume the ties are the same shape, and the difference is in the photos.

If you're really fond of the white-on-white stripe, then go for it. I had one, but I never liked it. I wound up having the fire alarm go off in my building one day as I finished my laundry, so I went out into the cold with a basket full of shirts right out of the dryer. I wound up giving my white-on-white stripe to a girl who was shivering in a tank top. Admittedly, it was bought second-hand for a dollar, and I never liked the collar, but I haven't missed it. I always found it a little flashy for the way I like to dress.

The ties are fine in terms of color, but I'm not sure if the material will be very nice. If it's what you can afford (I buy my ties in thrift stores, but it takes a long time to build up a wardrobe that way) then it'll serve well, but you could consider a nicer one. If you go for a nice, solid navy, then you'll get a lot of wear out of it.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that material that important for a tie?

Of course. Everybody notices your tie.

I've seen cheap ties that looked alright, and cheap ties that looked pretty awful. It's hard to judge which camp that one falls into based on those pictures. If it looks good, then it's fine. If it looks cheap, then you might find yourself wishing you'd sprung for a (slightly) nicer one.

ArmandHammer

Reaction score
That's what I mean though, the appearance is the only thing that matters when it comes to ties. Although I can see why a silk one might be more likely to look good than a polyester tie.

Ivar

Reaction score
Light blue shirt, navy tie, white hanky. Possibly the most classic combination there is, and possibly the smartest.

SharplyTailored

Reaction score

Light blue shirt, navy tie, white hanky. Possibly the most classic combination there is, and possibly the smartest.

I wore this look recently, except the tie was not plain, but navy with white polka dots that matched the pocket handkerchief. It was to a job interview, which resulted in me getting the job. I also got told I looked like the next James Bond, which made me happier than getting the job!

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore this look recently, except the tie was not plain, but navy with white polka dots that matched the pocket handkerchief. It was to a job interview, which resulted in me getting the job. I also got told I looked like the next James Bond, which made me happier than getting the job!

Matching tie and handkerchief, or a pindot tie with white handkerchief? The first is not so good, the second pretty great.

ArmandHammer

Reaction score
Bear in mind this is for a wedding guys, not a job interview :) that does look quite smart but a bit sombre too

SharplyTailored

Reaction score

Matching tie and handkerchief, or a pindot tie with white handkerchief? The first is not so good, the second pretty great.

I wore this tie, with a white handkerchief. I wouldn't wear a tie and handkerchief that matched exactly.

Ivar

Reaction score

Bear in mind this is for a wedding guys, not a job interview :) that does look quite smart but a bit sombre too

Point taken, but remember that we're working with a charcoal suit here.

SharplyTailored

Reaction score
Right, back on topic; sorry for diverting! I think the outfit in this picture is quite nice: charcoal suit, white shirt and a silver tie. Would look better with a white handkerchief in my opinion. Because the tie is silver, it doesn't look like something you'd wear for work, and is a bit less sombre than the Connery outfit above.
http://www.formalred.com.au/site/De.../FormalHire/GreySuits/2Button-DarkGrey/51.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads