• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt that seems impossible to iron

kdsvs

Reaction score
I have a shirt that I haven't been able to iron flat since the first wash. The shirt is striped, and the weave alternates between herringbone and broadcloth. The problem seems to be that the two different weaves have not shrunk by the same proportion.

Does this sound like it can be rescued? I have tried ironing it damp and steaming it. Would it help to spray starch on it? Would the dry cleaners have a better method?

stach

Reaction score
Give it to them and tell them "press only". It might wind up needing starch.

well-kept

Reaction score
2 identical shirts from RL Polo of such fine cotton it feels like silk. Incredibly fine hand. Totally impossible to iron - either at home or professionally. This is without any differential weave.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would try washing with a very light load (weight, not color), hang dry (I usually hang them on a plastic hanger), and then press damp. That might help prevent the formation of wrinkles in the washing machine, and eliminate wrinkles from the dryer.

Some of the really fine shirts (I'm thinking of my 180's) are just going to wrinkle by looking at them.

Earthmover

Reaction score
I think the first shirt can be ironed, much in the way that a seersucker shirt can be ironed (I've ironed seersucker shirts so that the crinkling is barely noticeable... someone did request this once). Basically, just stretch it out as best as you can when it's damp and apply the iron with a lot of pressure (this works better on commercial presses, obviously). Although with a hand iron, it will seem impossible to do and probably be close to that, but I think it can come out presentable with certain effort.

As for well-kept's shirt, it sounds like it can be ironed quite easily, just requires a delicate touch. For home ironing, the order I would go is collar-cuff-shoulder/yoke-sleeves-body, and that should minimize wrinkling during the ironing process.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads