• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shirt that seems impossible to iron

kdsvs

Reaction score
I have a shirt that I haven't been able to iron flat since the first wash. The shirt is striped, and the weave alternates between herringbone and broadcloth. The problem seems to be that the two different weaves have not shrunk by the same proportion.

Does this sound like it can be rescued? I have tried ironing it damp and steaming it. Would it help to spray starch on it? Would the dry cleaners have a better method?

stach

Reaction score
Give it to them and tell them "press only". It might wind up needing starch.

well-kept

Reaction score
2 identical shirts from RL Polo of such fine cotton it feels like silk. Incredibly fine hand. Totally impossible to iron - either at home or professionally. This is without any differential weave.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would try washing with a very light load (weight, not color), hang dry (I usually hang them on a plastic hanger), and then press damp. That might help prevent the formation of wrinkles in the washing machine, and eliminate wrinkles from the dryer.

Some of the really fine shirts (I'm thinking of my 180's) are just going to wrinkle by looking at them.

Earthmover

Reaction score
I think the first shirt can be ironed, much in the way that a seersucker shirt can be ironed (I've ironed seersucker shirts so that the crinkling is barely noticeable... someone did request this once). Basically, just stretch it out as best as you can when it's damp and apply the iron with a lot of pressure (this works better on commercial presses, obviously). Although with a hand iron, it will seem impossible to do and probably be close to that, but I think it can come out presentable with certain effort.

As for well-kept's shirt, it sounds like it can be ironed quite easily, just requires a delicate touch. For home ironing, the order I would go is collar-cuff-shoulder/yoke-sleeves-body, and that should minimize wrinkling during the ironing process.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 269 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.8%
  • 31 - 40