• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shirt tail in or out

lcordaro

Reaction score
Hello

If I am wearing a casual buttoned shirt out on the town, is it more appropriate to wear the shirt tucked in or left hanging out.

Thanks
Lcordaro

tangerine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
That depends. If you live in a city, I would wear the shirt in. If you live somewhere deep in the jungle, I would wear the shirt out, as long as there are no Brits about.

The jungle is infested with Brits, you can't even turn around without stumbling over a pith helmet or tea caddy.

lcordaro, you are between the horns of a dilemma. If you leave the shirt untucked, you may risk being mistaken for an American Jackass, especially if it is a striped shirt and you are wearing square-toed leather shoes. If you tuck the shirt in, and it is a solid oxford, there is a risk of being mistaken for a square, man. I think we need more information to help out here.

lcordaro

Reaction score
I live in Hermosa Beach, CA. So, I live in a beach community and hang out there on the weekends. I guess I need to wear it out because most of the folks wear very casual stuff if anything at all. HAHA

Lcordaro

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
I'd say with non-denim tailored trousers, you've got to tuck. With denim, you can untuck, but only if the shirt is of the right length, i.e., not too long.

For non-denim cotton trousers, my inclination would be to tuck, but I might make some exceptions, such as with cargo pants. But you probably wouldn't wear those at night out on the town.

lcordaro

Reaction score
Guys

Thanks for your opinions. I think I will continue to wear untucked with denim and tucked in, when I wear nicer pants.

Thanks

Have a good weekend!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads