shirt tail in or out

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lcordaro, Mar 31, 2006.

1. lcordaro

lcordaro Active Member

Hello

If I am wearing a casual buttoned shirt out on the town, is it more appropriate to wear the shirt tucked in or left hanging out.

Thanks
    Lcordaro

2. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

3. tangerine

tangerine Senior member

That depends. If you live in a city, I would wear the shirt in. If you live somewhere deep in the jungle, I would wear the shirt out, as long as there are no Brits about.

The jungle is infested with Brits, you can't even turn around without stumbling over a pith helmet or tea caddy.

lcordaro, you are between the horns of a dilemma. If you leave the shirt untucked, you may risk being mistaken for an American Jackass, especially if it is a striped shirt and you are wearing square-toed leather shoes. If you tuck the shirt in, and it is a solid oxford, there is a risk of being mistaken for a square, man. I think we need more information to help out here.

4. lcordaro

lcordaro Active Member

I live in Hermosa Beach, CA. So, I live in a beach community and hang out there on the weekends. I guess I need to wear it out because most of the folks wear very casual stuff if anything at all. HAHA

Lcordaro

5. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

I'd say with non-denim tailored trousers, you've got to tuck. With denim, you can untuck, but only if the shirt is of the right length, i.e., not too long.

For non-denim cotton trousers, my inclination would be to tuck, but I might make some exceptions, such as with cargo pants. But you probably wouldn't wear those at night out on the town.

6. lcordaro

lcordaro Active Member

Guys

Thanks for your opinions. I think I will continue to wear untucked with denim and tucked in, when I wear nicer pants.

Thanks

Have a good weekend!