• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt stud holes - round or slits?

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am having the most difficult time putting in my shirt studs into this new shirt.

Very, very stressed as i meed it for Sunday and think the only solution is to have a local ny place re-cut the holes.

1. Is there a way to enlarge the holes?
2. The holes are currently round, should they be round or slits on each side of the shirt?
3. Is there a standard size?

Any advice? Going to sleep and then run around to fix this tomorrow.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate being that guy - but the button hole place closes early today so forgive me for the bump, please.

Anyone have any thoughts on this problem of mine? Thank you.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate being that guy - but the button hole place closes early today so forgive me for the bump, please.

Anyone have any thoughts on this problem of mine? Thank you.

The holes should be slits; I've never seen round ones, and can't conceive of how they would work. Holes can be enlarged, but it sounds like you are on the right track, getting them re cut. Hope I'm not too late, or that you went ahead and did it. Good luck!

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah i went ahead and redid it. This was a real pain ********** and it doesnt look as elegant as i would have liked. I thought perhaps round holes were some high end feature that i hadnt heard of.

ETA: I have spring loaded studs and solid back studs. None fit through.

Last edited:

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah i went ahead and redid it. This was a real pain ********** and it doesnt look as elegant as i would have liked. I thought perhaps round holes were some high end feature that i hadnt heard of.

It's possible they are that type of feature; they could work wit the studs that have the spring loaded pin backing, rather than a round flat one. I have never heard of, nor seen it, but I am admittedly only an avid amateur when it comes to black tie - and really only jut getting started. However, I did a lot of research and looking, including, just for fun, looking at a $1200 Tom Ford evening shirt, prior to my wedding, and never came across round holes. More telling, there is no mention of it on the Black Tie Guide, to my recollection, so I suspect it is an oddity, rather than a high end feature. Regardless, your shirt and studs must be compatible, so short of finding new studs, which can be a real pain, or a new shirt, altering the button holes seems the only option to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics