• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt Stays Problem

jim233

Reaction score
I recently bought y-style shirt stays. (https://shirtstayplus.com/collections/featured-product/products/shirt-stay-plus-y-s). The shirt stays have worked great to keep my shirt tucked in but even with my tailored shirts, I still get significant shirt billowing in the front and sides after moving around for a few minutes. (I'm 5'6'', 150 pounds, and athletic if it matters.) Is there something I'm trick that I'm missing to keep my shirt neat and presentable?

ChasingStyle

Reaction score
I've used this style in the past, and they are pretty good at keeping the shirt in place, although they can get annoying after a full day in the office

paxonus

Reaction score
I recently bought y-style shirt stays. (https://shirtstayplus.com/collections/featured-product/products/shirt-stay-plus-y-s). The shirt stays have worked great to keep my shirt tucked in but even with my tailored shirts, I still get significant shirt billowing in the front and sides after moving around for a few minutes. (I'm 5'6'', 150 pounds, and athletic if it matters.) Is there something I'm trick that I'm missing to keep my shirt neat and presentable?
If they aren't working, they aren't tight enough.

Johan Ekelund

Reaction score
What Paxonus said.
You should be able to make them tighter. If you can't, then you can shorten them yourself if you have access to a sewing machine. Should only take a couple of minutes.
Shame though as they should be able to fit straight away with the adjusters that's on there.

Johan

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the other part of this equation are your slacks. Shirts stay tucked in something. That something are your slacks, so some of this will also depend on their fit.

Often, a lower rise will result in shirts coming untucked.

jim233

Reaction score
Thanks for the input.They are definitely very tight and I'm wearing my pants at my natural waist. My shirt isn't coming untucked, it's that any amount of extra fabric poofs out on the sides. Even when I use shirt stays combined with the "military tuck" this is still an issue after moving around for 10 minutes or so. Does this make sense? If not would pictures help? What could I do to keep this little bit excess fabric from billowing?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.They are definitely very tight and I'm wearing my pants at my natural waist. My shirt isn't coming untucked, it's that any amount of extra fabric poofs out on the sides. Even when I use shirt stays combined with the "military tuck" this is still an issue after moving around for 10 minutes or so. Does this make sense? If not would pictures help? What could I do to keep this little bit excess fabric from billowing?

Are the shirts darted in the back? If you really love the shirts, you could ask an alterations tailor to add darting. Otherwise, start buying shirts that are darted.

ChasingStyle

Reaction score

If the pants are tight then that's what's creating the "extra fabric poof". You move and the shirt moves up, and then the tight trousers keeps it there. Try with looser trousers, see if it improves.

Johan Ekelund

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean. People mention shirt and trouser fit. Shirts will poof up unless you have something pulling the shirt back down. I have very high waisted trousers and tailored shirts and they ride up unless I wear my Shirt Stays.
I would suggest you make the shirt stays you have shorter.

Johan

jim233

Reaction score
The shirts aren't darted, but I have taken them to a tailor to have them brought in. The trousers are fit very loose. My stays are already as short as they can go and they pull quite a lot. I experimented a little more and I've found that if I arrange the stays to have them pull towards the back of my legs my shirt stays in place much better. I think I've figured it out. Thanks all for the input.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads