• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt Sleeve Question

riverrun

Reaction score
So I have one dress shirt I truly love the cut of - the difference in fit through the body is dramatic from any other shirt I own, plus I love the styling, collar proportions, etc. The fit is great in all but one crucial way.

The sleeve length.

Too short by between 2/3 and ¾ of an inch. And when the difference is showing cuff or not, I would imagine the people on this forum would consider that a pretty crucial 2/3 or ¾ of an inch.

What are my options? I know cuffs can be replaced when worn out - can they be replaced so as to lengthen the shirt sleeves? I'm guessing not without ridiculous superlong cuffs resulting. But the cuffs are already sort of on the short side so maybe it wouldn't be too bad. Or maybe I'm kidding myself.

Is my only other option taking the shirt to a tailor or sending it to a foreign tailor and having it copied? If so - is there any reason to go chan, or is there a fast/cheap option that is better? If so, fabric recommendations for plain white?

Perhaps I should specify that this is a Ralph black label shirt...so most of you all would probably scoff at the material to begin with. Although I guess I like its lightness.

Thanks all.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
First, there is often enough material inside the cuff to lengthen a shirtsleeve 1/4" or more.

Second, I think new slightly longer cuffs could definitely be made that would look just fine. Maybe put two buttons on them to balance the look.

As for copying the shirt, I'll let others answer that. I've never had it done.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads