• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt Shrinkage General

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but... do all you guys wash your own shirts? Should I not be taking them to the cleaners?

I hand wash all my shirts. Then hang dry. Then iron when needed.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Shirtmaven - separate topic, but somewhat related. I was wondering your thoughts on getting dress shirts made without a top button, so that if weight fluctuates, it still looks good & is never uncomfortable - either with a necktie, the tie closes it, or open collar, it looks good too. Thoughts?
According to a T&A sales guy, President Reagan did exactly that. He always wore a tie with those shirts, and this was how he could guarantee a perfect fit. Probably something he picked up in Hollywood.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
According to a T&A sales guy, President Reagan did exactly that. He always wore a tie with those shirts, and this was how he could guarantee a perfect fit. Probably something he picked up in Hollywood.
your T & A guy is wrong.
Reagan wore a vanishing neckband collar. usually used for a fat guy with no neck.
the band disappears into the shirt before it gets to the very front.
the first button is on the front of the shirt.
I have a sample in my shop somewhere.. if i find it, I will post a photo.
Carl

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your T & A guy is wrong.
Reagan wore a vanishing neckband collar. usually used for a fat guy with no neck.
Carl
Here’s a photo of one of Reagan’s shirts that is currently up for auction.
09E7836B-7BA1-4ACA-8057-B3CEDAB583CD.jpeg

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting. I think he was an occasional T&A client, so he might also have tried the other.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
View attachment 1828284
View attachment 1828284
View attachment 1828284
that is a vanishing neckband. you can see the band in the back, but not in the front.the first button is on the front of the shirt

receivedxqy

Reaction score
Washing shirts has always been a challenge for me, and I am still afraid every time I wash them that, they are going to shrink. I just try to follow the washing instructions on the shirt itself and not use water hotter than 40C.
Shirts are just too much for me, and that’s why I prefer simpler clothes like oversize t-shirts because they are always fine, and little can happen to them while washing. All my Phoebe Bridgers Merch t-shirts are older than a year, and they still look totally fine. I am one of those people who wear clothes until they fall apart because I don’t like buying a lot of new stuff.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Washing shirts has always been a challenge for me, and I am still afraid every time I wash them that, they are going to shrink. I just try to follow the washing instructions on the shirt itself and not use water hotter than 40C.
Shirts are just too much for me, and that’s why I prefer simpler clothes like oversize t-shirts because they are always fine, and little can happen to them while washing. All my Phoebe Bridgers Merch t-shirts are older than a year, and they still look totally fine. I am one of those people who wear clothes until they fall apart because I don’t like buying a lot of new stuff.
Just keep them away from dryers

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
your T & A guy is wrong.
Carl
So, he wore them out of preference? He certainly wasn't fat.
Did he lack a normal neck?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads