• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt Shrinkage General

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
I prewash fabric occasionally. It is a lot of work to wash, dry and press before cutting.

My shirtmaker often have very interesting looks on his face when I send him my prewashed, tumble dried fine cotton for making.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My shirtmaker often have very interesting looks on his face when I send him my prewashed, tumble dried fine cotton for making.
Because it takes time to press those fabrics out properly to cut.
Especially If your shirt maker is fusing collars.
If you are putting these hi count fabrics in a dryer then you should use a net bag.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Shirtmaven - separate topic, but somewhat related. I was wondering your thoughts on getting dress shirts made without a top button, so that if weight fluctuates, it still looks good & is never uncomfortable - either with a necktie, the tie closes it, or open collar, it looks good too. Thoughts?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Shirtmaven - separate topic, but somewhat related. I was wondering your thoughts on getting dress shirts made without a top button, so that if weight fluctuates, it still looks good & is never uncomfortable - either with a necktie, the tie closes it, or open collar, it looks good too. Thoughts?
NO it would look like a mistake.
try sewing the button on with elastic thread. don't wrap the stem.

rjc149

Reaction score
Is there a certain point where a shirt stops shrinking, ie. it's all "shrunk out" or does it continue shrinking more gradually (the "shrinkage curve" tapers off) after a certain number of launderings?

joorinainen

Reaction score
Is there a certain point where a shirt stops shrinking, ie. it's all "shrunk out" or does it continue shrinking more gradually (the "shrinkage curve" tapers off) after a certain number of launderings?

Yes i believe so.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I figure on 3 wash cycles should do the trick. dont try to speed things up by putting the shirt in a hot dryer.
again, some fabrics will stretch, and others may randomly shrink more a year or two later...

clothingfun

Reaction score
@jonathanS

Hello sir. The majority of the dress type shirts that I have made by my bespoke shirtmaker are a one piece collar design they call an “Italian Collar” that are made to be worn without a tie. I very rarely wear a tie but rather a sport coat and open collar as that is plenty dressed up where I live. Therefore, I have taken a real liking to these.

Their “house style,” if there is such a thing, is not having a button on the collar. Given the collar design and construction, I love the look and think it adds a bit of uniqueness and personality.

On a collar meant to be worn with a tie maybe give it a try on a just shirt or two. I have a lot of hobbies and have found experimenting around and trial and error is part of the fun in all of them.

On a related note, my shirtmaker prewashes all their fabrics. It probably adds to the expense but over the years when comparing shrinkage to other shirts I have owned, both MTM and off the rack, I have certainly noticed quite a difference.

BigGee

Reaction score
Their “house style,” if there is such a thing, is not having a button on the collar. Given the collar design and construction, I love the look and think it adds a bit of uniqueness and personality.
This sounds interesting - do you have pictures ?

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would you tumble dry your shirts?

The obvious answer: it's more convenient.
Also, I hang dry most of my dress shirts, but I really like the way oxford cloth feels and looks after it's been dried. When I hang them, I have to iron them, which looks too polished for an OCBD, IMO.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figure on 3 wash cycles should do the trick. dont try to speed things up by putting the shirt in a hot dryer.
again, some fabrics will stretch, and others may randomly shrink more a year or two later...

afaik most shrinkage comes from released loom tension hence the dimensional diff between warp ( which bears most of the tension in weaving ) and weft ... it is a collapse of tensioned structure .

the heat and agitation of washing encourages this release and also for yarns to re-seat themselves , at the cost of definition , dye , dimension .

otoh i find that a well-and-broken garment tends to ease , cannot recall ever having a shirt randomly shrinking a year or two after

creynolds

Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but... do all you guys wash your own shirts? Should I not be taking them to the cleaners?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but... do all you guys wash your own shirts? Should I not be taking them to the cleaners?
I take the great majority of my shirts to the cleaners. I have one that I wash myself because the buttons are thin MOP and I fear they would be cracked by a steam press.

clothingfun

Reaction score
This sounds interesting - do you have pictures ?

Hello sir. I have found them a rather interesting and nice looking shirt made specifically for not wearing a tie. If you go over to the “ongoing bespoke projects” thread and search around my posts there are some pictures I shared of me wearing them with a couple of my sport coat commissions.

Everyone have a great day.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
I take the great majority of my shirts to the cleaners. I have one that I wash myself because the buttons are thin MOP and I fear they would be cracked by a steam press.

When I first started to have shirts made by a bespoke tailor, I didn’t specify the buttons. He defaulted to some thin trocas shell.

The then younger and more naive me tried to pamper the shirts by sending to a dry cleaner. Result? Only 90% of the buttons are left after each time, so it’s 12 x 0.9 x 0.9…

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads