• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shirt question - back "placket"?

Brian SD

Reaction score
I'm looking for ways to slim up the look of my Jntzn shirts I've been receiving in the back - while they seem to fit perfectly in the front, they always seem a bit too full from a side or back few. This seems unusual to have what looks like a perfect fit in the front, but oversized in the rear.

I've noticed that Band of Outsiders shirts, which I model my Jantzen orders off of, will have the exact same measurements, but fit better in back.

Please take a look at this image.

Is there a name for this? Is this common? I think I'm going to ask Ricky to put that extra "placket" looking thing in back along with some darting. Has anyone here successfully ordered shirts from Ricky that have darting?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
This seems unusual to have what looks like a perfect fit in the front, but oversized in the rear.

That is THE issue in fitting shirts, collar aside.

Modernist

Reaction score
I get a stitched, full back box pleat on all my shirts, and the reason is that I believe that it fits better on the back that way. Of course later on I found out that it is a standard mod detailing, so that's another factor of its appeal to me.

If you request it, Jantzen does it. I've ordered two shirts from J, and I've had it on both of them.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Modernist
I get a stitched, full back box pleat on all my shirts, and the reason is that I believe that it fits better on the back that way. Of course later on I found out that it is a standard mod detailing, so that's another factor of its appeal to me.

If you request it, Jantzen does it. I've ordered two shirts from J, and I've had it on both of them.

Okay, so its a stitched, full back box pleat.

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna request it because I like the look of it, and ask for the darts as well.

Modernist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Okay, so its a stitched, full back box pleat.

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna request it because I like the look of it, and ask for the darts as well.

It's a nice detail to have, it adds some visual interest in the back of the shirt. And Jantzen seems to get the pattern matching right.

In my Jantzen shirts I asked for darts as well, but I have some Fred Perry short sleeves (Limited Series), also with a stitched, full back box pleat, that don't have darts. Nevertheless, the fit is perfect. After all, since the pleat is stitched, it acts as a big, central dart.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 131 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 246 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 119 15.7%
  • 31 - 40