Shirt production costs

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gregory, Mar 15, 2004.

1. gregory

gregory Senior member

Hi people,

A friend of mine wrote a paper on African competitiveness today and he reproduced a table from a paper he read (Biggs et al) that I thought might be interesting to our group:

COST COMPARISON (US$) FOR MEN's CASUAL LONG-SLEEVED SHIRT

Zimbabwe $5.75
    Kenya $5.37
    Senegal $7.73
    Ghana $5.34
    India $8.18  (incl $3.00 quota cost)
    UAE $7.13 (incl $1.50 quota cost)

Source: Biggs et al's estimates (1994). Biggs, t. et al "Africa Can Compete." World Bank Discussion Paper 242. 1994. pg. 19.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

One rarely sees clothing items produced in those mentioned African nations. I wonder what the shirt prodcution costs for places such as Japan, Italy, France, UK, etc. are. Perchance for high end items.

3. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

A friend of mine and his wife went to visit her sister while she was in the Peace Corps in Guinea. He had a couple of flowerdy shirts made for him; and if I recall correctly, each was under $15. Not the greatest examples of the shirtmaker's art, but that's okay. He wouldn't have noticed if they had been, and I would imagine that fine fabrics and good sewing machines are hard to come by in Conakry.

4. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

The scary part of those numbers is that I think the price might even include fabric. I remeber hearing that labor in Vietnam was about $2.00.

Of course these shirts are merrowed and badly fused. I have met some wonderful african Tailors. They are very fast. Some have great skills but it is hard to convice them to take their time and produce a finer garment.

5. gregory

gregory Senior member

Yes, the costs I provided include fabrics and other material (e.g. buttons).