1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shirt Opinions Please (pics)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Henry Boogers, Jan 3, 2005.

1. AJL

AJL Senior member

Add me to the list [​IMG] I have a Paul Smith multi-stripe shirt w/ purple threading around the french cuff holes, a small detail which I quite like. Subtle cues like this give a garment more character and individuality. I am always on the lookout for these distictive quirks in clothing. The trick is to present the details in a way that is harmonious to the piece as a whole, that complements, rather than contrasts (or contrasts in a way that adds, rather than detracts).

2. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

TCN has the right idea. Or with flannels, blazer (either DB or SB) that has texture (flannel or hopsack), and brown suede shoes. No tie. Silk knot cufflinks. Great look and the contrasting stitching helps it as a casual outfit.

3. joseanes

joseanes Senior member

I like the shirt.
    It would be interesting to find out about other nice shirt/buttonhole color combinations. (I would be afraid to experiment by myself).

4. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

I think the reverse, blue with pink contrasting stitching, might be 'too much,' but Roy's white with pink sounds great. I'd like yellow with blue, and maybe light blue with darker blue. So I guess for me the stitching would have to be darker than the shirt, rather than vice versa.

Tom

5. leroy

leroy Active Member

Pink and blue gives a nice subtle blend. I usually have my button holes sewn with a different color to match the colored patterns on the fabric to avoid too much contrast and yet a subtle detailing.

I have also added my white dress shirts with such nice blue threading around the button holes. This has created quite a following among my colleagues as well when they get their shirts tailored.

6. Roy

Roy Senior member

(joseanes @ 04 Jan. 2005, 4:21) I like the shirt. It would be interesting to find out about other nice shirt/buttonhole color combinations. Â (I would be afraid to experiment by myself).
    I think the reverse, blue with pink contrasting stitching, might be 'too much,' but Roy's white with pink sounds great. Â I'd like yellow with blue, and maybe light blue with darker blue. Â So I guess for me the stitching would have to be darker than the shirt, rather than vice versa. Tom
    I agree with you on that the stitching should be darker than the shirt. But blue on blue isn't my thing. Neither is yellow on yellow etc. If you opt for contrasting stitching I would make it a different colour, but darker than the shirt.

7. Ed13

Ed13 Senior member

I guess I will be the only one who doesn't like the blue bottonholes. On a shirt meant for casual wear with barrel cuffs I might say OK if you like this look, but with french cuffs the shirt would never make it out of my closet until I gave it away to a poorly dressed friend.