• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt Opinions Please (pics)

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Due to either an error by a certain shirtmaker, or more likely due to an error of my own, I am now the proud owner of the pink shirt pictured below.  As you can see, the stitching around the buttonholes and the buttons are a nice blue rather than self-colored which I typically order.

Although this will limit the shirt's versatility, I tend to like the look (though I haven't thrown on a tie and cufflinks yet to see how it works).  In your opinion is this an interesting touch or a subtle distraction?
As a casual shirt - I'll say its an "Interesting Touch". I want one now.

As a dress shirt - maybe a subtle distraction, but I think its okay. Although, you probably should keep in mind that with a tie and cufflinks, and a suit jacket, you're probably not going to show much, if any, of the button/buttonhole stitching. In which case, it'll look like an ordinary pink shirt, unless you lose the jacket and tie (in which case, we're back to casual and interesting touch).

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Add me to the rapidly lengthening list of fans of the shirt. I would have never thought of something like that.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have never thought of something like that.
Me neither, but because of this shirt I am thinking of a nice white linnen shirt with pink contrasting stitches like on the shirt in this thread. Should be a nice summer shirt.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have preferred it with barrel cuffs for more casual wear, but I think it is indeed an interesting and kind of neat shirt. With linen pants, some great british tan loafers, no socks, a superb navy blazer, and maybe a light blue Indian linen pocket square? Gimme gimme, I need, I need.
biggrin.gif

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have that same shirt -- but with self colour buttonholes. Dammit, I should have gone with the contrasting.
smile.gif
I think that with blue silk knots it will look superb. Good mistake -- it happens over there from time to time and doesn't discourage me at all to be honest.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Add me to the list
thumbs-up.gif
I have a Paul Smith multi-stripe shirt w/ purple threading around the french cuff holes, a small detail which I quite like. Subtle cues like this give a garment more character and individuality. I am always on the lookout for these distictive quirks in clothing. The trick is to present the details in a way that is harmonious to the piece as a whole, that complements, rather than contrasts (or contrasts in a way that adds, rather than detracts).

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With linen pants, some great british tan loafers, no socks, a superb navy blazer, and maybe a light blue Indian linen pocket square? Â Gimme gimme, I need, I need. Â
biggrin.gif
TCN has the right idea. Or with flannels, blazer (either DB or SB) that has texture (flannel or hopsack), and brown suede shoes. No tie. Silk knot cufflinks. Great look and the contrasting stitching helps it as a casual outfit.

joseanes

Reaction score
I like the shirt.
It would be interesting to find out about other nice shirt/buttonhole color combinations. (I would be afraid to experiment by myself).

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I like the shirt.
It would be interesting to find out about other nice shirt/buttonhole color combinations.  (I would be afraid to experiment by myself).
I think the reverse, blue with pink contrasting stitching, might be 'too much,' but Roy's white with pink sounds great. I'd like yellow with blue, and maybe light blue with darker blue. So I guess for me the stitching would have to be darker than the shirt, rather than vice versa.

Tom

leroy

Reaction score
Pink and blue gives a nice subtle blend. I usually have my button holes sewn with a different color to match the colored patterns on the fabric to avoid too much contrast and yet a subtle detailing.

I have also added my white dress shirts with such nice blue threading around the button holes. This has created quite a following among my colleagues as well when they get their shirts tailored.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(joseanes @ 04 Jan. 2005, 4:21) I like the shirt. It would be interesting to find out about other nice shirt/buttonhole color combinations. Â (I would be afraid to experiment by myself).
I think the reverse, blue with pink contrasting stitching, might be 'too much,' but Roy's white with pink sounds great. Â I'd like yellow with blue, and maybe light blue with darker blue. Â So I guess for me the stitching would have to be darker than the shirt, rather than vice versa. Tom
I agree with you on that the stitching should be darker than the shirt. But blue on blue isn't my thing. Neither is yellow on yellow etc. If you opt for contrasting stitching I would make it a different colour, but darker than the shirt.

Ed13

Reaction score
I guess I will be the only one who doesn't like the blue bottonholes. On a shirt meant for casual wear with barrel cuffs I might say OK if you like this look, but with french cuffs the shirt would never make it out of my closet until I gave it away to a poorly dressed friend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads