• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt necks suddenly too tight?

vncrz

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I felt like all my shirts fit too tight around the neck, to the point that in the afternoons I had to loosen my tie and undo the top button. What's weird is that this included shirts I've had for over 2 years as well as new ones, and I always hang them to dry so I don't believe they could have ALL shrunk at the same time. At first I thought I might be a bit sick and my throat might be swollen, but it's been too many days and I feel OK for that to be the cause. Has something akin to this occurred to anyone else?

I bought one of those button extender things at my cobbler, although you can tell from close up that it's there. It's a shame because I ordered several MTM shirts a couple of months ago.

was385

Reaction score
A lot of people will be having that problem after Thursday

vncrz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Gained weight?

Originally Posted by was385
A lot of people will be having that problem after Thursday

Haha I thought of that, but really haven't, I've pretty much kept my same weight and skinny frame for the past 5-6 years, unless I've eaten something that ONLY fattens my neck

big_neck.JPG

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was told it only takes 5 lbs to add a 1/4 inch to your neck. Maybe you need to knock off a few pounds?

Petrus1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vncrz
A couple weeks ago I felt like all my shirts fit too tight around the neck, to the point that in the afternoons I had to loosen my tie and undo the top button. What's weird is that this included shirts I've had for over 2 years as well as new ones, and I always hang them to dry so I don't believe they could have ALL shrunk at the same time. At first I thought I might be a bit sick and my throat might be swollen, but it's been too many days and I feel OK for that to be the cause. Has something akin to this occurred to anyone else?

I bought one of those button extender things at my cobbler, although you can tell from close up that it's there. It's a shame because I ordered several MTM shirts a couple of months ago.

You're growing kid. Even if you're the same weight the bones in your neck get bigger with age and you need a larger size if you're wearing a tie.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience it seems to depend on the fabric.
I have a bunch of T &A shirts purchased over 10 years ago.
I have aged and gained maybe 5-7 lbs ( 11-15.4 kg). One
fits very well- a heavyish oxford cloth. The others are tight.
They are all the same size.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vncrz

The problem is in your head, not your neck.
wink.gif

GBer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
In my experience it seems to depend on the fabric.
I have a bunch of T &A shirts purchased over 10 years ago.
I have aged and gained maybe 5-7 lbs ( 11-15.4 kg). One
fits very well- a heavyish oxford cloth. The others are tight.
They are all the same size.

2.2 lbs per kg, you have an error somewhere

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like I read somewhere stress can make your shirt collars feel too tight. I could be imagining this.

In general though elevated stress levels really do make people more aware of minor niggling annoyances (itches etc.) so this really could account for the sensation, if you really haven't gained weight or shrunk your shirts.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ysc
I feel like I read somewhere stress can make your shirt collars feel too tight. I could be imagining this.

In general though elevated stress levels really do make people more aware of minor niggling annoyances (itches etc.) so this really could account for the sensation, if you really haven't gained weight or shrunk your shirts.

I would agree with this. Stress does bring out my neuroticisms, even in clothing.

AlmostFullBenefits

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I would agree with this. Stress does bring out my neuroticisms, even in clothing.

Prolonged (chronic) high stress in some individuals can also cause fat deposition in specific areas, such as the back of the neck, face, collarbone, and waist, due to hypercortisolism. The extreme case of this is known as Cushing's Syndrome, but even in less extreme cases, individuals can go from having a nearly equal adipose (fat tissue) distribution to having adipose build up around the face and neck, which will make your shirt collars tighter. Stress is both a potent psychological and physiological factor, and it's poorly understood.

If you think high stress might be a problem, consider these remedies:
*Massage therapy
*Aerobic exercise
*Increasing consumption of Omega-3 monosaturated fats
*Eating more protein, fruits, and vegetables, especially if you regularly do resistive exercises.

Of course, if you are young, you might have just "filled out" some; otherwise, you might have just gained some mass.
teacha.gif

takashi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fab Style
Might be worth going to the doc. You just never know what the issue might be...

Agree.
I do not like to sound too dramatic, but tie/collar too tight is one of the symptoms of throat cancer.
Seeing doctor isn't gonna kill you.
If you have not put weight, please see doctor.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBer
2.2 lbs per kg, you have an error somewhere
2.2 lbs per kilo is correct. However, I multiplied instead of dividing. It should be 2.3-3.2 kg weight gain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads