• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shirt necks suddenly too tight?

vncrz

Senior Member
Joined
May 28, 2009
Messages
468
Reaction score
15
A couple weeks ago I felt like all my shirts fit too tight around the neck, to the point that in the afternoons I had to loosen my tie and undo the top button. What's weird is that this included shirts I've had for over 2 years as well as new ones, and I always hang them to dry so I don't believe they could have ALL shrunk at the same time. At first I thought I might be a bit sick and my throat might be swollen, but it's been too many days and I feel OK for that to be the cause. Has something akin to this occurred to anyone else?

I bought one of those button extender things at my cobbler, although you can tell from close up that it's there. It's a shame because I ordered several MTM shirts a couple of months ago.
 

was385

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2010
Messages
104
Reaction score
0
A lot of people will be having that problem after Thursday
 

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Sep 18, 2007
Messages
20,330
Reaction score
5,579
I was told it only takes 5 lbs to add a 1/4 inch to your neck. Maybe you need to knock off a few pounds?
 

Petrus1

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
152
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by vncrz
A couple weeks ago I felt like all my shirts fit too tight around the neck, to the point that in the afternoons I had to loosen my tie and undo the top button. What's weird is that this included shirts I've had for over 2 years as well as new ones, and I always hang them to dry so I don't believe they could have ALL shrunk at the same time. At first I thought I might be a bit sick and my throat might be swollen, but it's been too many days and I feel OK for that to be the cause. Has something akin to this occurred to anyone else?

I bought one of those button extender things at my cobbler, although you can tell from close up that it's there. It's a shame because I ordered several MTM shirts a couple of months ago.


You're growing kid. Even if you're the same weight the bones in your neck get bigger with age and you need a larger size if you're wearing a tie.
 

comrade

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 10, 2005
Messages
6,810
Reaction score
624
In my experience it seems to depend on the fabric.
I have a bunch of T &A shirts purchased over 10 years ago.
I have aged and gained maybe 5-7 lbs ( 11-15.4 kg). One
fits very well- a heavyish oxford cloth. The others are tight.
They are all the same size.
 

SuitMyself

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
984
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by vncrz
A couple weeks ago I felt like all my shirts fit too tight around the neck, to the point that in the afternoons I had to loosen my tie and undo the top button. What's weird is that this included shirts I've had for over 2 years as well as new ones, and I always hang them to dry so I don't believe they could have ALL shrunk at the same time. At first I thought I might be a bit sick and my throat might be swollen, but it's been too many days and I feel OK for that to be the cause. Has something akin to this occurred to anyone else?

I bought one of those button extender things at my cobbler, although you can tell from close up that it's there. It's a shame because I ordered several MTM shirts a couple of months ago.


The problem is in your head, not your neck.
 

GBer

Senior Member
Joined
May 30, 2010
Messages
663
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by comrade
In my experience it seems to depend on the fabric.
I have a bunch of T &A shirts purchased over 10 years ago.
I have aged and gained maybe 5-7 lbs ( 11-15.4 kg). One
fits very well- a heavyish oxford cloth. The others are tight.
They are all the same size.


2.2 lbs per kg, you have an error somewhere
 

ysc

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
2,301
Reaction score
8
I feel like I read somewhere stress can make your shirt collars feel too tight. I could be imagining this.

In general though elevated stress levels really do make people more aware of minor niggling annoyances (itches etc.) so this really could account for the sensation, if you really haven't gained weight or shrunk your shirts.
 

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Messages
36,354
Reaction score
11,064
Originally Posted by ysc
I feel like I read somewhere stress can make your shirt collars feel too tight. I could be imagining this.

In general though elevated stress levels really do make people more aware of minor niggling annoyances (itches etc.) so this really could account for the sensation, if you really haven't gained weight or shrunk your shirts.


I would agree with this. Stress does bring out my neuroticisms, even in clothing.
 

AlmostFullBenefits

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2010
Messages
451
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I would agree with this. Stress does bring out my neuroticisms, even in clothing.

Prolonged (chronic) high stress in some individuals can also cause fat deposition in specific areas, such as the back of the neck, face, collarbone, and waist, due to hypercortisolism. The extreme case of this is known as Cushing's Syndrome, but even in less extreme cases, individuals can go from having a nearly equal adipose (fat tissue) distribution to having adipose build up around the face and neck, which will make your shirt collars tighter. Stress is both a potent psychological and physiological factor, and it's poorly understood.

If you think high stress might be a problem, consider these remedies:
*Massage therapy
*Aerobic exercise
*Increasing consumption of Omega-3 monosaturated fats
*Eating more protein, fruits, and vegetables, especially if you regularly do resistive exercises.

Of course, if you are young, you might have just "filled out" some; otherwise, you might have just gained some mass.
 

takashi

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2010
Messages
68
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Fab Style
Might be worth going to the doc. You just never know what the issue might be...

Agree.
I do not like to sound too dramatic, but tie/collar too tight is one of the symptoms of throat cancer.
Seeing doctor isn't gonna kill you.
If you have not put weight, please see doctor.
 

comrade

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 10, 2005
Messages
6,810
Reaction score
624
Originally Posted by GBer
2.2 lbs per kg, you have an error somewhere
2.2 lbs per kilo is correct. However, I multiplied instead of dividing. It should be 2.3-3.2 kg weight gain.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

  • 7”

    Votes: 85 17.4%
  • 7.5”

    Votes: 155 31.8%
  • 8”

    Votes: 141 28.9%
  • 8.5”

    Votes: 57 11.7%
  • 9”

    Votes: 25 5.1%
  • 9.5”

    Votes: 11 2.3%
  • 10”

    Votes: 5 1.0%
  • 10.5”

    Votes: 9 1.8%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
433,739
Messages
9,316,158
Members
195,485
Latest member
christinae
Top