• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt measurements - and help for someone who is 'big' from lifting weights

redskins11

Reaction score
Hi,

I lift weights and I consider myself to have 'broad' shoulders/chest and thus I have often have alot of difficulty finding stuff that fits, especially casual button down shirts. For all stuff I either have to sacrifice on:
1. The shirt doubling as a dress/parachute
2. The chest/shoulders/back area being extremely tight and feeling like something is going to rip.

For reference: I'm 6' 215-220lb, 45 inch chest, wear 46 suit, 56 inch 'chest+around my shoulders/arms and maybe a inch or 1.5 inches more if I flex my back at least'...not sure what thats called,and wear 34-37 waist depending upon the brand.

What I am looking for is measurements on the shoulders and length of a shirt and I am looking for casual button downs. Its always large way too tight, xl way too baggy long

If anyone else has a similar problem or measurements especially on express, ralph lauren, brooks brothers, jcrew, bonbos, etc I would appreciate it.

i01111000

Reaction score
rotflmao.gif
LMAO! I lift too only I'm about two inches shorter and 20lbs lighter than you and they told me I was a disgusting fat ass American. This is probably not the thread for a large guy looking for friendly advice. try the forum at askandyaboutclothes.

Although I'll say that Brooks Brothers now has the slim fit. You can get a larger size in the slim fit and get a proper fit. Depending on bicep you should be able to get into a large tightly or an xl comfortably. The medium fits me fairly well except for the bicep area.

glundr

Reaction score
use the advanced search function and search in random health and exercise thoughts for posts by "mrchariybrown"

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This will be Style Forum blasphemy, but of all American national retailers that sell much casual clothing, American Eagle might be the most likely to have casual button-front shirts that will fit a very muscular frame with little or no alterations. The uncreative plaid patterns tend to be good for that build, also. Still, American Eagle should only be considered by someone who is young and has no better options.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ugh i disagree so much with that charly post. It's a look sure but i can't get over that one of the central principle is that you want to create the illusion that you don't have big thighs/ass

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads