Shirt makers in Australia

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Python, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Python

Python Active Member

Where is Charles Nakhle's store? He doesn't seem to have a website... can someone post contact details?

Also, how are Charles Edward's shirts? Where is his Melbourne store - he doesn't appear to have a website either.

BTW how much will each charge for a good shirt (MOP buttons, preferably thick ones, Sea Island-quality cotton, non-fused collar and French or turnback cuffs)? From what I've heard Nakhle sounds like a good option, but he's in Sydney and I don't have much time off work (how does he compare to Xenia Hejda, btw, who's based in Adelaide but often visits Melbourne?)...

2. Sator

Sator Senior member

Where is Charles Nakhle's store? He doesn't seem to have a website... can someone post contact details?

Charles Nakhle:

(02) 9633 4696

69 Phillip St Parramatta 2150

Prices start around $200 for bespoke. Less for MTM.

3. spectre

spectre Senior member

1. I think Sea Island cotton is now a myth.
    2. The best option probably is to get the shirt you like the most from whichever shirtmaker you choose and have it copied by Jantzen - send it or even spend a few days in Hong Kong which will be cheaper in the long run if you intend having several made. Six Jantzen shirts x $60 = $360. Six Hemden shirts x 300 = $1800. six Jantzen shirts plus five days in Hong Kong = (about) $1300. Same goes for Chan or A Man bespoke suits. A far, far better option than the average and chronically over-priced stuff on offer from the nauseatingly supercilious staff at Harrolds, about the only place for better suits.

4. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Also, how are Charles Edward's shirts? Where is his Melbourne store - he doesn't appear to have a website either.

BTW how much will each charge for a good shirt (MOP buttons, preferably thick ones, Sea Island-quality cotton, non-fused collar and French or turnback cuffs)? From what I've heard Nakhle sounds like a good option, but he's in Sydney and I don't have much time off work (how does he compare to Xenia Hejda, btw, who's based in Adelaide but often visits Melbourne?)...

Charles Edward is at 8 Crossley St, around the corner from Pellegrini's. Phone +61 3 9662 1350.

5. HappymaN

HappymaN Senior member

Sorry to chime in late, but I have used Hejda (Xenia Tidd) for a little while now. Have bought about 5 shirts from her. The nicer fabrics start at around $245, and I recently bought one for $285. She makes a nice shirt, but she does not pattern match from shoulder to yoke, which I would expect. She only pattern matches at the sleeve placket. She does not have a large range of fabrics compared to the other makers (Edwards, Cutler, etc.). Maybe about 50 in total. I will post photographs of my latest Hejda shirt tomorrow.

I would imagine that Nahkle in Sydney is the best bet after reading the opinions of other SF'ers, and speaking to him myself on the phone. His price do seem very good, although were set to rise at the start of this year.

6. Sator

Sator Senior member

She does not have a large range of fabrics compared to the other makers (Edwards, Cutler, etc.).
    Cutler offshores his shirtmaking. He takes measurements himself of course. This means his shirts are not really bespoke.

7. Python

Python Active Member

Looks like I'll have to find time to go to Sydney then - is Nakhle open on weekends?

How much does he charge anyway?

8. Sator

Sator Senior member

Looks like I'll have to find time to go to Sydney then - is Nakhle open on weekends?

How much does he charge anyway?

Saturday until about 1 or 2ish.

Starting prices are around $200 -220 (with the price rise) for bespoke.

9. Sator

Sator Senior member

10. HappymaN

HappymaN Senior member

Is there any chance that somebody who has a Nahkle shirt handy post come detailed photographs of his work? Either on a hanger or on themselves? I will post some photographs of one of my Hejda shirts late tonight when I get home.

11. pdizzle

pdizzle Member

I too am quite interested in seeing some Nakhle shirts....

PS Sator you got a PM...

12. HappymaN

HappymaN Senior member

13. HappymaN

HappymaN Senior member

BTW, I would appreciate any comments on the look of the collar, which I designed myself, or fit in general. Because I am ordering four more shirts this week, and any tweaks to the pattern may help. The shoulder do fall wider than my natural shoulder, but I intend to hit the gym this year, so wanted some room to grow.

14. Sator

Sator Senior member

I just got back from visiting Charles and he just happened to mention that he is making a trip to Melbourne in the next couple of weeks. He is going to be making shirts for some senior managerial staff at the NAB and other staff members.

So I mentioned the interest on SF. He will probably go on a Friday and stay until Sunday night. Charles will be contactable via mobile (0414 289 645) and you will be able to visit him at his hotel room where you will be able to see sample shirts and swatches. If the trip is successful he might make it a regular fixture.

Can you guys please make suggestions for a good location that would suit everyone eg easy to access, find parking etc. I will keep forum members posted with exact details.

I will post pictures of his work later tonight.

15. HappymaN

HappymaN Senior member

Are you still going to post some pictures Sator? Thanks.