• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shirt laundering question

jasonmarshalljazz

Reaction score
i have a new shirt from kuhlman co. and its white with black mini windowpane.

1. do i wash it with lights or dark?
2. will the collar and cuffs still shrink if i air dry them (as opposed to machine drying)?
3. how many launderings will it take to render complete shrinkage?, so i know whether the body need to be taken i or not.

thanx

bizzblar

Reaction score
Ill bump this and raise one more. When you send a shirt to the cleaners, how do they actually go about laundering (not dry cleaning) a shirt? After it comes from the washig machine is it immediately pressed, or is it put into a dryer first? I ask becuase I also want to know how much shrinkage to expect from shirts and "simulate" this process at home with some new ones.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't send your shirts out for commercial laundry if you value them. white or black, no matter, use cold water cold rinse. throw in some towels to avoid a tiny load if you have a thrashing top-loading machine. i would do white with black windowpane with the whites, but it should not matter. after three wash and wearings, you should have the shrinkage you'll live with. but at any point, an unexpected trip through the dryer or a wash in hot water could shrink some more. the idea is never to buy a shirt and shrink it as much as possible. the commercial laundry services will do various things. usu. the pressing is done by machine. starch is applied to the shirt to keep the machine lubricated. i don't think you can simulate what they do at home. helpful threads http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=13086 http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=9049 http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=28914

JeffsWood

Reaction score
It seems to me the shirt shrinkage can be somewhat reversed. Every now and then, my wife washes my shirts (I ask her not to, but she still does from time to time). My wife has no clue which are my shirts that get hung and which are my shirts that go in the dryer and she of course put my hang dry only shirts in the dryer. I find that they'll shrink a bit, but if I wash and hang them, the strech out again. But just don't ask about the time she washed and dried my Cashmere sweater!!!!!!!!

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's true cotton will stretch. You can regain some sleeve shrinkage & collar shrinkage by pulling when wet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads