1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shirt help needed

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VMan, Jul 29, 2003.

1. VMan

VMan Senior member

Hey all,

Recently, I was the winning bidder for a good-sized lot of clothes on ebay.  One of the items (and the reason I bid in the first place) is a beautiful Zegna dress shirt, brand new,  white with light and dark blue vertical stripes.  I love the shirt, but it's too large.  The stated size is a 17.5 neck, which fits more like a 17.  However, the shirt is still way too large throughout, and looks extremely baggy.  The neck fits me okay, I'm a 16.5, but the problem is that I'm a slim build so the rest of the shirt doesn't work out.  Is there any way to safely shrink the shirt?  On the tag, it says to not use a dryer, so I'm worried about damaging the shirt.  It's 100% cotton, so any reason why it would say not to do this?  I'm thinking about just selling it on ebay if shrinking it is impossible, but I'd sell it outright to anyone on the board who is interested (at a low price of course).  Thanks.

Eric

2. davei

davei Senior member

I had the same problem with a Zegna shirt given to me as a gift. Neck fits fine, but the rest of the shirt is way too huge... sleeves are too long, body too baggy. It's possible to made alterations (taper the shirt inwards) but IMHO if the fit is not good at the shoulders and armpit, it's not worth the trouble. Putting the shirt in the dryer may shrink it a bit, but it's impossible to selectively shrink parts of the shirt and not shrink others (if the neck fits fine, it will probably shrink with the rest of the shirt.)

FWIW I've had hats shrunk by dipping them in dry cleaning solution (crown only, not brim).

3. General Koskov

General Koskov Well-Known Member

On a similar vein: is there any way to shrink a pre-shrunk cotton t-shirt? I've several large-size shirts from back in the day when fit was a foreign word to me and I wish to get them down to a size so that they can act as undershirts for sportswear. I'm not looking for perfection by shrinking, but I would at least like to take away some of the billowing bulk of the t-shirts.

4. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

All the Nice Shirtmakers tell you not to iron the shirt with Starch as that will shrink the shirts (Its True...Many of my shirts cannot be buttoned at the neck as a result).

Maybe you can wash the shirt and apply a spray on starch and iron...But unless you can do that uniformly I would recommend selling.

Good luck.

JJF

5. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

If you soak it with warm water, and then put it in high heat by itself, I've found that the parts that shrink most are the body, with the sleeve length and the neck circumfrence second and third respectively. But, with a Zegna, the fabric is probably so well woven, that you won't get great shrinkage out of it. You might be better off cutting your losses -- and maybe making a profit. -- by reselling it on Ebay.

However, you could take it to a tailor if that's worth it to you.

6. VMan

VMan Senior member

Yup, I ended up selling it on ebay (about five months ago might I add [​IMG] ). Thanks for the replies though.

7. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior member

General Koskov has this unusual habit of reviving the most ancient topics. I've been fooled more than once into thinking these were new topics. [​IMG] GK - regarding your t-shirts, short of cutting open the sides and sewing them back up, I can't think of any way to shrink them any further.

8. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

If you soak it with warm water, and then put it in high heat by itself, I've found that the parts that shrink most are the body, with the sleeve length and the neck circumfrence second and third respectively. Â But, with a Zegna, the fabric is probably so well woven, that you won't get great shrinkage out of it. Â You might be better off cutting your losses -- and maybe making a profit. -- by reselling it on Ebay. However, you could take it to a tailor if that's worth it to you.
    Yup, I ended up selling it on ebay (about five months ago might I add  [​IMG]  ).  Thanks for the replies though.
    HAH... It's funny how old posts can become irrelevant, but then nobody notices when someone revives them.

9. General Koskov

General Koskov Well-Known Member

Yes. [​IMG] Whenever I search, I choose 'the beginning' as my time-period, and I don't pay much attention to when a thread was finished. Anyway, on t-shirts, I figured there was no hope. Me, who is too lazy to take a Sack-cut suit coat to the tailor (and get a slimmer silhouette), is certainly too lazy to worry about t-shirts. I'll just keep hiding the billowing mass of cotton under sweaters.

10. ernest

ernest Senior member

Wash it @ 60 °