• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt gauntlet gap

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm making another shirt order from Mytailor and have a question for the shirt fit experts out there.
When I bend my arm into a L, the gauntlet pulls open like shown in this picture:

This bothers me in the same way that a gaping placket does when sitting down. Does this mean I should have the lower sleeve made bigger? How would I communicate this and what kind of measurement do tailors use? Thanks.

Last edited:

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say that the sleeve needs to be 1/4" to 1/2" longer to prevent this. The bend in the elbow pulls the fabric downwards and the bottom of the gauntlet splays to accommodate. Lengthen the sleeve slightly and the tightness over the elbow during the bend should disappear.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The cuff isn't sized correctly, cuff button isn't positioned properly for that pointed cuff style. There should be more overlap. Move the button over 1/2" and then resize the cuff and it will be better.

Last edited:

whatsinaname

Reaction score
I agree with the other comments that the cuff might be too small in this case.

But, I wonder if the general issue of the placket opening is inevitable with a single button cuff. There isn't much preventing the two sides of the cuff from rotating around the pivot point of the single button. After moving around, I don't see why the "placket closed" position is more likely than a position shown by the OP.

So ... switch to a double-button cuff if this actually bothers you?

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Four replies and four different answers... :happy: Hopefully these additional pictures will provide a better assessment. I had to do these quickly this morning before work. The shirt is wrinkled because I had to take it out of the hamper. FWIW, I have other shirts with a mitered cuff but with a slightly bigger circumference and I still have this issue.

Since I have full body pictures on here anyway, any other fit suggestions are welcome. I'm already getting the waist and chest increase by half an inch because they're a little tight, and the length increased by an inch because there doesn't seem to be enough shirt to tuck into my pants.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those aren't mitered cuffs

Unbutton the cuff, lay the sleeve plackets parallel/overlapping each other and you will see where the cuff should be overlapping itself. The buttonhole/ button position on the cuff is pushing the placket back. just look at your picture and you will see it.

Last edited:

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. The picture for the angle cut cuff on Mytailor's website seems to show the button position that you describe:

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ that is a mitered cuff. Your cuffs are pointed and need to overlap more. See the difference?

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait, now i'm confused on why you said that mine aren't mitered cuffs but the one in that website picture is. That is the cuff option that I've always picked on the website, and I can't see any difference between my cuffs and the one in that picture, except that mine has a gap near the gauntlet where it shouldn't.

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think that the gauntlet gap goes pretty well with the classic StyFo UnMade Bed GPOY.

I would keep the gauntlet gap for that reason alone.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan