• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt fabric advice

GrahamM

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

After some advice as I am blinded by choice! I would like to buy a white shirt (or two). I recently had a shirt made by Apposta which fitted well, once we got the fit right and looking to carefully/wisely expand my wardrobe. I do not wear suits, but want a white shirt(s) that can go well with both smooth worsted wool trousers/fine knitwear (e.g under merino or cashmere) and also under a knitted woolen jacket. Equally like to a have a shirt that can be worn with more textured woolens, such as flannel with similar or more chunky knitwear. Is that possible?

Am I right in thinking, worsted = smooth, means less texture so a twill or simple broadcloth/poplin shirting? Flannel trousers = texture, so an oxford weave (hate button down collars with a vengeance so it would not be OBDC)? Would an Oxford weave be fine for both? How about a pinpoint weave as a bridge between both?

Thinking about this too much?

Cheers

Graham

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oxford should be fine. I wear it with flannel suits, jeans and everything in between. A less rugged oxford can be a royal oxford or a twill.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the future you might consider Hilditch and Key for oxford.
From the website it does not look like they are offering white oxford
this season. I have their (blue) oxford shirts with cutaway and regular spread
collars. If you are willing to consider herringbone, here's an example but it
seems that only one size is available now. The semi annual sale just ended
so stock my be low at the moment.

GrahamM

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to reply guys!

Graham

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads