• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt details - Close up photos

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was making this post for a Dutch Style forum where we have been discussing the differences between hand and machinemade brands as well as the differences between several handmade brands. After BjornH saw some of the pictures he thought it was a nice idea to post these on this board (and AAF) as well. DISCLAIMER: The colors in the pictures can be pretty different from real life, there is one purple linen Borrelli that almost seems like a grey shirt on the photo. Ermenegildo Zegna: This is a shirt from Ermenegildo Zegna, somebody on AAF told me they were made in the same factory in Turkey as most Boss shirts which is pretty easy to believe. The buttons are made from plastic, no handwork at all but I like the fabric. It has a soft touch and it doesn't wrinkle very much. All in all a decent shirt but I wouldn't buy EZ again, I think it's to expensive for machinemade RTW shirts. Brioni: This was my first shirt of the 'better' Italian brands. It turned out to be a huge disappointment, the fabric has a cardboard feel to it, it wrinkles easily it isn't any better than any other (waaay cheaper) shirt I owned before and well, it is kind of boring. The thing that made me buy it, on sale luckily. Barba di Napoli 1: Barba is one of my favourite brands of shirts, this particular one is a pink egyption cotton with pink MoP buttons. What I like about these Barba shirts is the handwork, it does make a shirt feel softer and more comfortable around the collar and the armholes. The shirt is 'shirring' (thank you AK) which is one of the trademarks of Italian shirts. I got the idea of the photo Alexander Kabbaz posted of the pink shirt with pink/red buttons featured in Departures. So once again, thanks to AK. Barba di Napoli 2: Another pink Barba, this time with the standard MoP buttons but contrast collar and white french cuffs. Again, lots of handwork and shirring. Barba di Napoli 3: After seeing Wallstreet I wanted a contrast collar on a striped shirt, but not exactly like the ones I have seen in the film. All in all I am very satisfied with the overall look and feel of this particular shirt. It is pretty obvious to me, after ordering a few shirts made by Barba that the quality of construction depends for the most part on the seamstress. This one is by far the best constructed Barba I have. I especially like the M or Bond cuffs, although I can imagine that others would not even think about those. Borrelli 1 Even though it is a bit unfair to compair RTW Borrelli's to MTM Barba's I do it anyway. Since I don't have any MTM Borrelli's. The fit of my Barba's of course is better, all in all I think Barba makes a nicer shirt for a (bit) nicer price. The only thing I prefer on my Borrelli shirts are the buttonholes, I have the feeling they are far stronger and more durable than on my Barba's. But it might have to do with the fact that the fabric of my Barba's is thinner as well, I only have Borrelli shirts of quite thick fabric, no egyption cotton Borrelli's up to this point. Borrelli 2: What can I say, i'm a sucker for linen soft collars, especially if they are nicely made and the colors are bold. So this one was right up my alley. It's a shame that the colors look different from real lfe. On this picture the color seems to resemble the real shirt a bit more. Oger Napoli (Finamore): This is the house brand of a menswear store in Amsterdam (Oger), their shirts are made by Finamore althought there is obviously less handwork in them. Cesare Attolini: This is not my own shirt, but on the Dutch forum people are adding detailed pictures of some of their own shirts so others can compare more easily.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Roy @ June 08 2005,17:17)
Looks very naughty.
It does, you're not the first one to notice it btw. On the Dutch board a few others made the same comment
tounge.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(PeterMetro @ June 08 2005,23:23)
Originally Posted by Roy,June 08 2005,17:17

Looks very naughty.
It does, you're not the first one to notice it btw. On the Dutch board a few others made the same comment Â
tounge.gif

Dirty Dutch...

gardel

Reaction score
That's a well-groomed buttonhole.

bch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roy,June 08 2005,17:17

Looks very naughty.
Interesting. Within milliseconds of seeing this photo, I thought the same thing. I was not going to post it, but I would wager that 97.5% of the men (women?) seeing this thought the same thing. Should we start a poll?

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am beginning to wonder if Zegna did it on purpose
wow.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has it as his avatar yet.

dorian

Reaction score
(Brian SD @ June 08 2005,19:45) I didnt notice it
sad.gif

Don't feel bad. Â I didn't notice it either.
Well, seriously, guys, you're minds must be in the gutter.
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads