Shirt cuff tightening?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Beckwith, May 19, 2006.

1. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Received a jantzen that is very close to prefect, but the double button cuffs are a little big. Is this as simple as moving the buttons? Or does this require a bigger job. Maybe it needs a 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

2. Jill

Jill Senior member

There are several expert shirtmakers and tailors here, who can offer professional advice. But as a layman, I would definitely just move the button(s). Especially for 1/4". AT 1/2", you're starting to throw off the alignment of the sleeve placket. But considering the price of a Jantzen shirt, it would hardly be worth having a cuff re-constructed, IMO.

3. DandySF

DandySF Senior member

Try moving the buttons to take up the slack in the cuff. I have to do this with virtually every shirt I buy. Of course if you have to move them too far you'll end up with a sleeve placket that's askew.

4. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Yes, you can tighten up the buttons to a degree. I do this, too, as I have overly slim wrists. If only my gut was as skinny as my wrists! [​IMG]

5. pengesq

pengesq Well-Known Member

I usually have a tailor move the cuff buttons inside by 1/2 inch to make the cuffs tighter.

6. Charley

Charley Senior member

I usually have a tailor move the cuff buttons inside by 1/2 inch to make the cuffs tighter.

It is very aggrivating to have to move butons on double button cuffs to get a proper tight fit. And, YES, it can through off the placket alignment. a change of 1/2" is borderline too much, IMO. If I got a very good deal on a RTW shirt, OK. On a MTM, I would have the cuffs / sleeves redone.

7. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Just as others have said here, you can move the buttons to a certain extent to tighten the fit of the barrel, just as long as you're not throwing off the placket. I paid my tailor $6 to do this. Just see how it looks by pinning it with a safety pin first. For a Jantzen, I would think it's not worth sending it all the way back to Hong Kong and waiting for an adjustment. Just think how long it took you to get that order in the first place (I'm assuming you waited awhile).

8. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Just as others have said here, you can move the buttons to a certain extent to tighten the fit of the barrel, just as long as you're not throwing off the placket. I paid my tailor $6 to do this. Just see how it looks by pinning it with a safety pin first. For a Jantzen, I would think it's not worth sending it all the way back to Hong Kong and waiting for an adjustment. Just think how long it took you to get that order in the first place (I'm assuming you waited awhile).
    That was my thought. I do not want to send it back to Jantzen and made the adjustment for my next order. I still love the shirt and will try moving the buttons.