• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt cuff size and watches

tpap

Reaction score
Do you also find it difficult to fit a watch under the shirt's cuff and at the same time have the cuff rest at the base of your thumb? Even a dress watch adds at least 1" to the cuff's size, which allows the cuff to go past the thumb's base. The larger the watch, the further down the cuff reaches. How do you deal with this problem?

Is this "base of thumb" rule really incompatible with wearing a watch? In fact, I've seen multiple photos of Prince Charles wearing his watch and having his cuffs reach almost halfway between the base of his thumb and the notch formed between the thumb and the index finger. I don't particularly like this look.

If you have managed to address this problem, please, post some photos of your cuff/watch for us to see!

Thanks.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Even without a watch I wouldn't want the shirt cuff to hit the past of my thumb. Looks sloppy.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Simple: get shirts made with bigger cuffs. I wear very large watches (> 42mm diameter) and don't have this problem.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you're wearing your shirts too long unless I'm entirely misunderstanding. I don't think I've ever seen Prince Charles with cuffs that long.

Just wear your largest watch when you're fitted for or buy shirts.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Haha I just saw in iWatch that they have a cut out cuff shirt so you can view your watch!

Eric Glennie where you at!??

You missed your chance to patent that schnat!

tpap

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
Sounds like you're wearing your shirts too long unless I'm entirely misunderstanding. I don't think I've ever seen Prince Charles with cuffs that long.

Just wear your largest watch when you're fitted for or buy shirts.

Well, here's one of the many photos out there. Do you think this looks good?

powcuffyd8.jpg

Also, isn't the sleeve, when unbuttoned, supposed to be a bit longer than the end of your wrist to allow for you hand's movement? So, a wider cuff will normally sit lower on you thumb.

Am I missing something?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
You should not be wearing your shirt sleeves any longer than that picture...even then it is a tad too long for me.

rbm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tpap
Do you also find it difficult to fit a watch under the shirt's cuff and at the same time have the cuff rest at the base of your thumb? If you have managed to address this problem, please, post some photos of your cuff/watch for us to see!
I have exactly the same problem. The cuffs of several of my recently purchased shirts are so tight around my wrists (manufacturer's shirt design, not a sizing problem) that I am unable to get the cuff over my watch. And I wear a very thin watch, unlike some of the modern 40mm and 50mm calibers. The button is positioned barely a centimeter from the edge of the cuff so that is is impossible to relocate the button to add dimension to the cuff.

I've not managed to get a solution to the problem yet with which I am comfortable.

I remember seeing a novel solution to this problem in a photo in Allan Flusser's book, Dressing the Man, where Adolphe Menjou (I believe; this is from memory) wore his watch on the outside of his cuff. He pulled it off stylishly by also rolling back his jacket sleeves to reveal the combination.

Mustapha

Reaction score
I had some bespoke shirts done up awhile back and they got the barrel cuffs too roomy. I fixed this myself by moving the button. I was quite pleased with the unintended sleeker look from a very tight cuff - but now there was only wiggle room for a 1960s style slim/flat watch. For my next set of shirts I specified the tighter cuff.

Guess what. I can only wear 1960s style slim watches now. :>)

I save my big sports watches for Ts, polos and RTW shirts.

-Moose

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For RTW - cuff size will be determined by the brand. I think manufacturers err on making the cuff diameter larger to accomodate various size wrists, but can't win them all.

At least for my bespoke/MTM shirts, I have the left cuff cut 1/2" larger to accomodate my watch.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only way to ensure that you can wear both watches with the custom shirt is cutting the cuff opening to accomodate the bigger watch. It might cause the sleeve to fall lower on your wrist then you would like, but the only other solution to that is shortening the sleeve length.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't think about that. That should work. I guess there's two ways going about it: (1) the two buttons that are vertical to each other, whereby you can unbotton the top one to have more room in the cuff opening, or (2) the two buttons horizontal that allow you to button the cuff looser or tighter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics