• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt cuff buttons

thejackal

Reaction score
Is there a purpose to shirts having 2 buttons on the cuff or is this just to allow for different size wrists?

pstoller

Reaction score
Well, allowing for different wrist sizes is one purpose. It also allows you to compensate for the presence or absence of wristwatches or bracelets, and it's a handy way of storing spare buttons in case you lose one. (Or two.) I can't think of any other good reasons for them to be there, but I think the reasons I came up with are good enough.
smile.gif

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are two ways of having double buttoned shirt cuffs. One way gives you the option to tighten the cuff, because one button is close to the edge and the other an inch or so futher into the cuff; corresponding is one button hole which will take either button.

There is also a double buttoned cuff, Savile Row shirt makers are very fond of. Here both buttons (in the case of Turnbull & Asser even three) are on the same line, close to the edge and each has it's corresponding button hole. This ia a design feature and is supposed to represent quality.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sorry, mistake. Shirt makers are in London's Jermyn Street, not in Savile Row; that's where the tailors are.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
There is also a double buttoned cuff, Savile Row shirt makers are very fond of. Here both buttons (in the case of Turnbull & Asser even three) are on the same line, close to the edge and each has it's corresponding button hole. This ia a design feature and is supposed to represent quality.
So two-button cuffs (which are usually longer than single-button, I believe), are a classic style rather than a fashion? How about mitered cuffs? I like two-button mitered cuffs and just want to make sure I'm not just being a trend-whore.
blush.gif

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
There are two ways of having double buttoned shirt cuffs. One way gives you the option to tighten the cuff, because one button is close to the edge and the other an inch or so futher into the cuff; corresponding is one button hole which will take either button.

Recently I have started to have my non-French cuff dress shirts made that way, that is, with the double buttoned, slightly longer, cuff. I sometimes feel like leeving the last button (the one closest to the end of the sleeve) unbuttoned, I actually like the way it looks, a bit "casual" or sprezzatura so to say, but I am not sure that it is appropriate (according to the Rules).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads