1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Shirt Collars - Fused or Unfused?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Grammaton Cleric, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Well-Known Member

Are fused collars always a sign of lower quality / workmanship, or do they merely represent an alternate method of construction?

2. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I would not say always. Though I always get unfused, I can live with a fused collar. Some makers, e.g., Kabbaz, do a very nice fused collar. I can't live with a fused cuff.

3. Grammaton Cleric

I can't live with a fused cuff.

Thank you - is a fused collar/cuff stiffer and more liable to shrink?

4. Yale Cameron

Yale Cameron Well-Known Member

how does one tell from looking or feeling whether a collar or cuff is fused vs. unfused?

5. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Thank you - is a fused collar/cuff stiffer and more liable to shrink?

Definitely stiffer. Not more liable to shrink in my experience. In any case, the collar band is what you have to worry about there, and it is never fused.

6. JamesX

JamesX Well-Known Member

If the collar is very stiff, almost like paper/plastic, the it is fused. If you see bubbling (which is one of their biggest problems) then it is fused.

7. Grammaton Cleric

8. sellahi22

sellahi22 Well-Known Member

strong preference for unfused here; hate stiff collars

9. SpallaCamiccia

SpallaCamiccia Well-Known Member

10. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

strong preference for unfused here; hate stiff collars

Fusing doesn't have to be stiff...

11. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

All the neapolitan shirtmakers are fused and very stiff.

All the ready-to-wear Neapolitan shirt factories might make stiff, fused collars, but the Neapolitan bespoke shirtmakers are a different story.

12. Freddy Vandecasteele

Freddy Vandecasteele Well-Known Member

All the ready-to-wear Neapolitan shirt factories might make stiff, fused collars, but the Neapolitan bespoke shirtmakers are a different story.

I think every Good shirtmaker not only in Naples will give you options.
    I have never been to Naples but I try to accomodate
    Freddy Vandecasteele

13. Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos Well-Known Member

Unfused collar is the right way to go. Fused collar is good for budget items, unfused is better if you have appreciate a finer finish.
    This shows ignorance. They are different, and they both have their place. It's true that cheap shirts have fused collars, but certainly not all shirts with fused collars are cheap or low quality.

14. calvinloke

calvinloke Well-Known Member

I have both. However the fused ones once they got creased or wrinkled they are almost impossible to fix. Probably I'm wearing cheap ones.

15. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

I think a lot of people prefer sewn-in interfacing just because it's rarely used in ready-to-wear shirts. If you want a neat-looking collar, that stays neat, that's easy to keep neat after laundering, etc., stick with fusing. If you want an imperfect look, a little puckering at the seams, etc., or an extremely soft collar, then you should avoid it. But thinking sewn-in interfacing is superior because most people don't use it seems silly to me.

16. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

I think every Good shirtmaker not only in Naples will give you options.
    I have never been to Naples but I try to accomodate
    Freddy Vandecasteele

The "formal" white shirt my Neapolitan shirtmaker made for me has a fused collar, but none of my other shirts from her do. My point is not that you can't get a fused called from a shirtmaker in Naples, but that fused collars are not typical of the archetypical Neapolitan shirt.

17. Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos Well-Known Member

I think a lot of people prefer sewn-in interfacing just because it's rarely used in ready-to-wear shirts. If you want a neat-looking collar, that stays neat, that's easy to keep neat after laundering, etc., stick with fusing. If you want an imperfect look, a little puckering at the seams, etc., or an extremely soft collar, then you should avoid it. But thinking sewn-in interfacing is superior because most people don't use it seems silly to me.
    +1 I would say that it's not just silly, it's pretentious.

18. Frodo

Frodo Well-Known Member

A non-fused shirt will last as long as the fabric holds together, and can look good even if it's threadbare. A fused shirt basically lasts until the fusing fails, at which point it looks pretty lousy.

19. Orphan

Orphan Member

I actually prefer fused, this does seem to become an issue with cheaper shirts - I guess they use lesser adhesive or something but a couple of my cheaper fused collar shirts (OTR) have lost the fuse and the collar is terrible now, however my good shirts (made to measure) with a fused collar the collar is as crisp and defined as the day I got it. I can't stand a floppy/messy collar on work/dess shirts though unfused are fine with casual gear where a really crisp defined collar can look overdone. A cheap fused collar can be bad but when it comes to quality shirts fused/unfused is personal opinion and shirt use rather than one being higher quality than the other.

20. James Perry

James Perry New Member

There are several different weights of fusing. A fine shirt should be hand fused via a dry iron, this melts the glue better than using a heavy press method which can also dis-color the fusing.
    Where it puckers this shows where the glue has not melted properly into the cotton. You can use a 3 fold collar top in either 2 self and one plain color that will best match the top collar fabric. This allows for the fusing to be attached to the 3rd layer of top collar thus reducing the effects of any puckering to the top layer of the collar top.