• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shirt collars and pants

calcio

Reaction score
Recently purchased a few more pair of flat front dress pants at Brooks Brothers and the salesman was really trying to persuade me to change one of the flat fonts to pleats.

I don't like the look of pleats but knowing I'm not the most fashion knowledgeable person I thought I'd ask here.

The other question I have is collar types and when to wear each. OCBD versus just open collar and what goes with no tie versus tie or jacket versus no jacket. And Khakis versus dress pants.

With a combination of khakis, dress pants, ocbd, open collar, tie, no tie, jacket, no jacket what are the rules or guidance of what goes together best?

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most people here strongly prefer flat-front pants and cuffs. That's kind of contrary to convention (pleats with cuffs, flat-front with finished hem) but there's nothing wrong with it. If you like flat front, wear flat front.

Wearing a tie or not with your shirts is sort of your preference. I personally HATE wearing any collar other than button-down if I'm not wearing a tie, but I love the look of button-down with or without a tie and with or without a coat. Button-down are typically considered less formal than any type of spread collar, with bigger spreads being slightly more business-like (in my opinion).

So I basically wear a button-down shirt with everything from khakis and no tie or jacket up to trousers, a tie, and a coat, but will switch to spread collars when wearing a suit or in slightly more formal/business situations.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
for pleats:
waist-hip_ratio.jpg
without pleats:
Look_2med.jpg

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a persistent canard that pleats are for fat people (and a complementary one that only thin people should wear them.) This is perfectly absurd to anyone who understands how clothing is put together. Pleats are for people who enjoy such activities as walking or sitting. Models are well-suited to flat fronts, as they spend most of their time standing.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The persistent canard that thin people can't wear pleats comes from the fact that in order not to look billow-y, pleated pants must be perfectly tailored/custom made. And that's a rarity

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uhurit
The persistent canard that thin people can't wear pleats comes from the fact that in order not to look billow-y, pleated pants must be perfectly tailored/custom made. And that's a rarity

If pleats are billowing, try letting the pants out at the back. It's a dry-cleaner-level alteration.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
If pleats are billowing, try letting the pants out at the back. It's a dry-cleaner-level alteration.

patch[1].gif

I wouldn't let the dry-cleaner's here sow a button on, let alone carve my pleated suit pants

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads