• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shirt collar: to fuse or not to fuse?

ollie

Reaction score
can anyone tell me the advantages of fused and none-fused shirt collar inlays? despite from a difference while ironing and more "fullness" in the none-fused ones what speaks for the one or the other method?

thank you

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fused collars are stiffer and so easier to press and easier to make look "neat." Unfused are old skool.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fused shirts collars can also "bubble", in the same way as fused suits. I avoid them.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is the fusing material the same as in suit jackets?

Reaction score
Fused collars and cuffs are not the way to go if you are paying serious money for your shirts. You will get a stiffer collar and cuff by going the fused route, but the shirt won't last, especially if you get the shirt starched. The better shirt makers such as Turnbull & Asser(and of course my shirts)are never fused. Ultimately it's up to you go with fusing, the same way way it's a decision to go with fused suits vs. all handmade canvas suits. If you want to really get your dollar's worth and have something that can stand the test of time(8 to 10 years if cared for properly)go with the non-fusible collar, often called swiss interlinings. They are sewn down similar to the way canvas in sewn down on suits. You should be able to take a collar and cuff and rub the fabric between your fingers. The fabric should sort of pull away not stay glued(fused)to one side.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Fused shirts collars can also "bubble", in the same way as fused suits. I avoid them.
Hasn't happened to my shirts yet.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Hasn't happened to my shirts yet.

Unfused is no doubt better in some cosmic sense. But I have also never had shirt-collar fusing give out before the rest of the shirt needed replacing anyway.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike

True, but unfused collars can pucker. With their respective methods, bubbling and puckering are far less likely with quality materials and workmanship.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bespoke couture
Fused collars and cuffs are not the way to go if you are paying serious money for your shirts. You will get a stiffer collar and cuff by going the fused route, but the shirt won't last, especially if you get the shirt starched. The better shirt makers such as Turnbull & Asser(and of course my shirts)are never fused. Ultimately it's up to you go with fusing, the same way way it's a decision to go with fused suits vs. all handmade canvas suits. If you want to really get your dollar's worth and have something that can stand the test of time(8 to 10 years if cared for properly)go with the non-fusible collar, often called swiss interlinings. They are sewn down similar to the way canvas in sewn down on suits. You should be able to take a collar and cuff and rub the fabric between your fingers. The fabric should sort of pull away not stay glued(fused)to one side.

A number of bespoke and high-end makers, including our esteemed Mr. Kabbaz, use fusing (not exclusively, but certainly commonly).

EDIT: Ah, I see I was beaten to the punch.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer the fuller look of a non-fused collar and think they feel much more comfortable.

I would recommend, however, getting a fused collar when it comes to very soft materials like royal oxford.

As a matter of course, when I get an unfused collar, I ask the shirtmaker to use an interlining of medium thickness or greater to make sure the collar has some shape.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads