• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt collar flopping

Lexel

Reaction score
Recently I got 6 shirts made at a tailor. All the collars of these shirts all have the same problem. They don’t stand up straight and flop a little. All these shirts have no placket. Is the sagging caused by having no placket? Here’s a couple of photos of one of the shirts.

The problem with the collar is even worse when a sweater is on top. It flops on one side more. Any ideas in what I’ve been wrong in the custom shirt process?

Attachments

• A90BEDF6-AF23-4D27-8B39-A85BACACD95F.jpeg
    A90BEDF6-AF23-4D27-8B39-A85BACACD95F.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 216
  • CC8282D1-B73D-47BE-B712-5B88042281D1.jpeg
    CC8282D1-B73D-47BE-B712-5B88042281D1.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 211

EdT

Reaction score
Try some spray starch ! There are many types of collar plackets that you can choose from your custom shirt makers, but today men choose comfort over a stiff upper neck ! ...LoL

Anachronist

Reaction score
I'm even tempted to say that the cut of the shirt might not be the right one for you. What strikes me is that in the pictures the collar itself appears fairly stiff and what bulges is the shirt below, indicating that there is excess fabric in the gorge area, i.e. the shirt is cut with a too much shoulder slope.

paxonus

Reaction score
Could just be the second button is too high relative to the height of the collar.

Lexel

Reaction score
Could just be the second button is too high relative to the height of the collar.

Too low do you mean? I’m with you on that. There’s another button unbuttoned but it’s too tight to use. If the top button that i’m using is higher up closer to the collar, It would sit straight. It’s a shame I’ve got 6 shirts made exactly like this

Last edited:

Anachronist

Reaction score
As much as it hurts for the money you paid, chalk it off as experience and move on to another tailor is the only thing to do, I'm afraid.

Lexel

Reaction score
As much as it hurts for the money you paid, chalk it off as experience and move on to another tailor is the only thing to do, I'm afraid.
Do you think it’s worth seeing if another tailor can fix these shirts?

Ben W

Reaction score
I've personally never had much luck with fixing such a major problem through alterations. It doesn't hurt to ask if they think they can do it and how much it would cost, but I wouldn't have high expectations. It may be worth a try if they are confident and the expense isn't that much.

Anachronist

Reaction score
Agree with Ben. You could ask... but I'm doubtful that this can be done properly. Then again, I'm not a tailor...

Lexel

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I think if I added buttons to the collar to keep the collar down, it will keep the part before the collar standing straight. I’ll take them to and alterations place and get advice

Ben W

Reaction score
How do the shirts look when buttoned up and with a tie? I suspect these were built to be worn that way. Did you communicate with the maker that you wanted to wear them open? Open and with no neckwear is all the rage now of course but when I want shirts to do that I tend to tell my tailor up front. The first button is positioned lower, there is no top button (the one you'd normally button for a tie), and the collar design is different on the shirts I intend to wear that way.

You don't have to go with a cooper collar specifically, but this may illustrate more of what you're looking for:

A shirt that is made to be worn buttoned up probably isn't going to look great unbuttoned. That is my experience, anyway. But just for kicks and grins... how do the shirts look if you leave the top button that you currently have buttoned undone?

Lexel

Reaction score
How do the shirts look when buttoned up and with a tie? I suspect these were built to be worn that way. Did you communicate with the maker that you wanted to wear them open? Open and with no neckwear is all the rage now of course but when I want shirts to do that I tend to tell my tailor up front. The first button is positioned lower, there is no top button (the one you'd normally button for a tie), and the collar design is different on the shirts I intend to wear that way.

You don't have to go with a cooper collar specifically, but this may illustrate more of what you're looking for:

A shirt that is made to be worn buttoned up probably isn't going to look great unbuttoned. That is my experience, anyway. But just for kicks and grins... how do the shirts look if you leave the top button that you currently have buttoned undone?

You’re probably right. I did say I wanted a casual shirt but language barriers probably got in the way. I did choose the style of collar from a range of photos so I probably chose the wrong style for the type of shirt I wanted.

Unbuttoning the button I had done up in the photo helps a little, but nothing significant. I really think adding buttons to the collar to keep it to the body of the shirt will help a lot

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads