shirt collar flipped up in the past?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gregory, Feb 12, 2005.

1. gregory

gregory Senior member

I have very little knowledge about clothing during the past but I was watching the movie production of Phantom of the Opera and noticed that many of the male characters wore shirts with their collars flipped up. This happened in cases where a tie was worn, some sort of scarf (?) was worn and nothing was worn (open-necked).

Can someone explain why did this happen in the past and why is this not acceptable today?

Thanks.

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

It's actually not 'flipped up', it's a standup collar, and the modern turn-down collar is a newer variation on that. There was a thread about this a long while back, but essentially, the move to the soft attached collars came about after ww1 I believe, when the soldiers rediscovered the comfort afforded by the softer self-fabric attached collars of the shirts as opposed to the hard starched separate collars that had been recently in favor.

3. gregory

gregory Senior member

Thanks j. I will try searching the styleforum for that discussion. But I really liked the look of these standup collars with some sort of scarf around them -- I thought the whole thing was really elegant. [​IMG]

4. mnemonic

mnemonic Senior member

hello. actually, it was eric cantona, manchester united's bad boy from france, that invented the flipped up collar. please see below. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] in the final image, he is kicking a fan on the sidelines during a match because the fan was heckling him. [​IMG] johnny.