Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

shirt collar flipped up in the past?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gregory, Feb 12, 2005.

1. gregory

gregory Senior member

I have very little knowledge about clothing during the past but I was watching the movie production of Phantom of the Opera and noticed that many of the male characters wore shirts with their collars flipped up. This happened in cases where a tie was worn, some sort of scarf (?) was worn and nothing was worn (open-necked).

Can someone explain why did this happen in the past and why is this not acceptable today?

Thanks.

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

It's actually not 'flipped up', it's a standup collar, and the modern turn-down collar is a newer variation on that. There was a thread about this a long while back, but essentially, the move to the soft attached collars came about after ww1 I believe, when the soldiers rediscovered the comfort afforded by the softer self-fabric attached collars of the shirts as opposed to the hard starched separate collars that had been recently in favor.

3. gregory

gregory Senior member

Thanks j. I will try searching the styleforum for that discussion. But I really liked the look of these standup collars with some sort of scarf around them -- I thought the whole thing was really elegant. [​IMG]

4. mnemonic

mnemonic Senior member

hello. actually, it was eric cantona, manchester united's bad boy from france, that invented the flipped up collar. please see below. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] in the final image, he is kicking a fan on the sidelines during a match because the fan was heckling him. [​IMG] johnny.