• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt buttons

Classic

Reaction score
Today I saw the thickest buttons I have ever seen on a RTW dress shirt. Athough I am not an expert at all, I do have a fair collection of dress shirts, mostly with french cuffs, and while some have thicker buttons, they are no where near the size of those I saw today.
Mastai Ferrentti was the label, and the buttons were off white plastic.
In my estimation they were at least 1 cm thick.
Has anyone else every seen buttons of this size? And what would be the purpose? IMO they took away from the look of the shirt.

Classic

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i see this quite often on shirts
i have seen it on everything from donna karan signature shirts to etro

usually stacked mop but not that unusual
i find it difficult to button them up though, especially on the collar

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thick buttons are really starting to annoy me. At first it was a cool noveltly that came along with buying better quality shirts, but now it's just a nusance.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
I actually agree with Mike C. - particularly when they are plastic buttons which they mold so thick to give a low-quality shirt an "expensive" appearance. Even super-thick MOP buttons are one thing to see, another thing to button, particularly if the maker puts super-thick buttons on the collar and cuffs without a shank.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads