• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt and tie without jacket

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll take your Singapore and raise you the Philippines, further along towards the equator...

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by royal618
Not an option. It's hard to comment if you don't live in it. Otherwise, your jacket will just be saturated in sweat like your shirt.
What if you do live in it? It's 46 here today.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
yup i live a near jacketless life too - way way way too hot and humid. and Tom - Im pretty sure your job seldom requires suits - well, other than those plastic ones with the built in gas masks
smile.gif

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
yup i live a near jacketless life too - way way way too hot and humid.

and Tom - Im pretty sure your job seldom requires suits - well, other than those plastic ones with the built in gas masks
smile.gif

You try wearing that crap when it's 120!

Hey, other than being hot there, what's the dress like? Shorts? Linen? Jeans?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
today im in a jantzen shirt, jeans, and ummm i dont know how to describe my shoes. old school dressy casual sneaker things.

on the weekend im in shorts and tees.

its hot and humid.

i wear linen shirts on the weekends if im supposed to be having lunch somewhere nice (so not often)

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, if you feel you 'must' do it, fine. Still doesn't make it a 'look'.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
Hey, if you feel you 'must' do it, fine. Still doesn't make it a 'look'.

A bad "look" is still a "look."

Reaction score
Someone once said that wearing a shirt and tie without a jacket makes you look like a clerk. I couldn't agree more. It also seems to be the domain of high school boys forced to "dress up" for some sort of family function or formal outing.

Silver Focks

Reaction score
always looks much better with the jacket but sometimes you don't have much choice. I would never choose to wear it as a look. if a tie is appropriate for the occasion, definitely wear a jacket too. if you don't want to hurt you track it, then skip the tie

brooksbrothers

Reaction score
Here is the rule:

You can wear a jacket with no tie but can never wear a tie without a jacket. And NEVER a short sleeve shirt with a tie/jacket.

coldsalmon

Reaction score
I wore a shirt and tie without a jacket the other day because I was going suit shopping, and I find it difficult to judge a suit jacket if I am not wearing a tie. At least four people asked me for directions throughout the day, assuming I was a sales clerk.

I will admit that I was wearing navy chinos, which was probably a large part of the problem. Based on this experiment, I will say that a shirt and tie with cotton pants, and without a jacket, in a department store, made me look like a sales clerk. If you're in an office, it's possible that a pair of nice wool trousers could make it look like you have taken off your suit jacket.

That said, I was wearing a suit in Brooks Brothers the other day and I got asked for directions, so maybe I just look like a clerk no matter what I'm wearing.

The only time I've ever seen this without the "assistant salesman" vibe is on the RLPL website, under "dress shirts": http://www.ralphlauren.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=2885938 They're wearing suit pants, plain business ties, and they all look seriously pissed about something. Perhaps this look is to be avoided if your work requires you to smile, speak, or do anything other than stare disdainfully at people.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is perfectly fine, especially in summer. Don't be misled by nonsense about JWs and car salesmen.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just don't see the point in ditching the jacket and not ditching the tie too. But that might be just me.

I usually take my jacket off during the warmer months, but I keep it on the back of my chair, and this "look" is pretty common in the office, so no prob. If I have to go outside to do something, I leave the tie at my desk as well and problem solved. I don't think tie+no jacket makes you look like a salesman, but it sure makes you look like a bus driver.

SD1

Reaction score
The hot and humid Florida look goes either 'jacket with no tie' or 'no jacket no tie'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads