1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shirt and tie without jacket

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bothat, May 28, 2006.

1. Bothat

Bothat New Member

Can anyone post a picture of someone in a tucked in shirt and tie with no jacket that doesn't look like a Jehovah's witness or an assistant salesman at a used car lot? I just know this look can be pulled off but I can't find any evidence.

2. royal618

royal618 Senior member

Just take it for fact that it is.

However, since you've got no tie, it allows you to be more expressive with the shirt (not that you can't do that normally). If you're worried about being confused with a JW, don't wear a white shirt.

Also, don't tuck the collar over your lapels. You don't really want to do that do you?

3. Aureus

Aureus Senior member

He said shirt and tie, no jacket. Not shit and jacket no tie. [​IMG] I don't really like the look of just a shirt and tie, no jacket. The way to pull it off is to just make sure the dress shirt is fitted and that the tie and shirt co-ordinate. Elsewise there's really not much else going on...

4. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Can anyone post a picture of someone in a tucked in shirt and tie with no jacket that doesn't look like a Jehovah's witness or an assistant salesman at a used car lot? I just know this look can be pulled off but I can't find any evidence.
    Hate to burst your bubble, but it can't be pulled off as a "look." Taking your jacket off at work is a different issue.

5. kronik

kronik Senior member

Any job or event that forces/requires a button-down and a tie will just have to accept the fact that a blazer or suit is coming with it. [​IMG]

6. j

j Senior member Admin

To be pulled off properly, this look requires a narrow black tie with tie clip, a short sleeved white shirt, a haircut that is done primarily with clippers, and a devout hatred of Commies.

2 people like this.
  7. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

To be pulled off properly, this look requires a narrow black tie with tie clip, a short sleeved white shirt, a haircut that is done primarily with clippers, and a devout hatred of Commies.
    I agree. Oh, and bring a black book and hold it under your arm or tote around a large briefcase.

8. darck

darck Well-Known Member

I wouldn't recommend this as a "look" either, but for taking off the jacket at one's desk I think a well-fitting shirt with a slim cut is the way to go.

9. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

I noticed today that I looked quite sharp with my jacket off. It's a question of balance, everything needs to be positioned and fit just so. High cut, slim flat-front trousers, minimal break, shirt that fits very well under the arms, through the waist, and sleeve length. A smallish collar, not too pointed, not too spread, and a tie which is a fraction narrow.

Oh, and long hair and great bone structure [​IMG]

10. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Yeah, slim slim slim.

Was looking at the J. Lindenberg shop window in SoHo last week and that's how they were doing it. A vest (unbuttoned in the summer I suppose) may help as well.

11. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

You got the tie (and maybe the tie clip, too) right. The whole combination for a summer evening: white linen shirt, soft long point collar, long sleeves; natural or darker tan linen trousers, full cut, high waist, double reverse pleats, cuffed; dark oak calf huaraches, leather sole/heel; dark brown alligator belt, silver buckle/tip; narrow black silk knit tie w/ or w/o antique silver tie bar; natural panama fedora, turn down medium width brim, black ribbon. For a cool evening, add an unconstructed, unpadded cream linen sport coat w/ open patch pockets, Native American print silk pocket square in cream/brown/black. The tie is not necessary, but adds a certain dash in my opinion and makes the combination just right for outdoor dining at a good restaurant.

12. My View2

My View2 Well-Known Member

Sorry guys, you have no idea what it's like to be in hot and humid Singapore where it's 28 to 32 degrees celsius (82.4 to 89.6 degrees farenheit) almost all year round. I'd love to wear my jacket/suit too but it's just not practical.

13. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Then ditch the tie and keep the jacket.

14. royal618

royal618 Senior member

Then ditch the tie and keep the jacket.

Not an option. It's hard to comment if you don't live in it. Otherwise, your jacket will just be saturated in sweat like your shirt.

15. dare-

dare- Senior member

Ties without jacket was a bit of a theme in some of the recent fall/winter runway shows. But the tie color matched the shirt. Anybody want to give it a go?

16. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

I'll take your Singapore and raise you the Philippines, further along towards the equator...

17. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Not an option. It's hard to comment if you don't live in it. Otherwise, your jacket will just be saturated in sweat like your shirt.
    What if you do live in it? It's 46 here today.

18. Matt

Matt Senior member

yup i live a near jacketless life too - way way way too hot and humid. and Tom - Im pretty sure your job seldom requires suits - well, other than those plastic ones with the built in gas masks [​IMG]

19. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

yup i live a near jacketless life too - way way way too hot and humid.

and Tom - Im pretty sure your job seldom requires suits - well, other than those plastic ones with the built in gas masks [​IMG]

You try wearing that crap when it's 120!

Hey, other than being hot there, what's the dress like? Shorts? Linen? Jeans?

20. Matt

Matt Senior member

today im in a jantzen shirt, jeans, and ummm i dont know how to describe my shoes. old school dressy casual sneaker things.

on the weekend im in shorts and tees.

its hot and humid.

i wear linen shirts on the weekends if im supposed to be having lunch somewhere nice (so not often)