1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shirt Alterations: Making Shirts Slim Fit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pred02, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Made in California

Made in California Senior member

... I also don't think it's worth it to spend $40 dollar tailoring a RTW shirt. There are way too many places to get decent MTM shirts at a good price to bother with altering RTW shirts that don't fit reasonably well to begin with.

But a lot of RTW shirts have really cool patterns that just aren't available at your local (or online) MTM place.

2. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Any time you are getting a shirt slimmed for under $25 bucks, its very likely the "tailor" doing so is going to do it with a serger--a device that trims the seam and encloses the seam allowance inside a thread casing all in one step. Someone who will finish the seam with a proper French seam will generally charge much more than this.

Personally, I wouldn't really want to wear a shirt stitched up that way (gives me flashbacks to cheap poly shirts I had to wear when I was broke). I also don't think it's worth it to spend $40 dollar tailoring a RTW shirt. There are way too many places to get decent MTM shirts at a good price to bother with altering RTW shirts that don't fit reasonably well to begin with.

^^ What he said. Local tailors, in my experience at least, mostly do their work for women. So they put your shirt back together like they would a $10 polyester blouse from JC Penney. Sad but true.

3. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

Has anyone else used this service? I checked out their website and it looks ancient.

I would stay away. I found this thread through a search, click on that link, and Web Of Trust (browser plug in) came up with all kinds of warnings about how the site has a "poor reputation" due to distribution of malware, or something. Avoid.

But since I'm bumping this thread, I have about 20 old Ascot Chang shirts from my "fat days" that need to be slimmed up and have the sleeves shortened a bit. I think I'm just gonna call Ascot Chang and see if they will fix them for me rather than sending a bunch of $200 shirts to some Internet person....

4. wojt

wojt Senior member

I have a question about this, how much material you leave? How much in ideally fitted shirt you would be able to pull away at the arms?

5. eluther

eluther Senior member

An ancient website being hacked with malware has nothing to do with the quality of their service. They're tailors, not web designers.

1 person likes this.